Registration Incomplete - No Error Message

Hi!

When a user tries to register but there are problems with the way the form has been filled out, then the page just reloads, the user is not registered, and no error message appears.

For example, if the passwords do not match or one of the required fields is left blank, upon clicking "Complete Sign Up" the page just reloads with all of the fields still populated except for the password fields.

The only time an error message appears is if the email is not in correct email form.

I'd like for some sort of error message to occur to notify users what they need to change. Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
Julie

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Julie,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I can see that you've a custom plugin installed that disables the Membership 2 Pro registration form with this filter:

add_filter('ms_frontend_handle_registration', '__return_false');

This is necessary if you're using another plugin to handle registration and that means that the registration form doesn't come from our Membership 2 Pro plugin. Therefore, the built-in validation doesn't work.

Is it on purpose or is it just a "left over" remaining there after some previous test/configuration? Please advise!

If you don't need any other "special" registration form (Membership 2 Pro doesn't interfere with core WP registration form nor with the BuddyPress registration), would you please disable it and see if it helped?

Let me know please!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Julie,

Thanks for the information. I've accessed your site once again, tested it and compared its settings against my own sandbox install but I wasn't able to find the culprit here.

That being said, could you please follow the guide here (starting from a flowchart):

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Keep me informed about the results, please!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Julie

Hello Adam,

The issue seems to be with the BuddyPress plugin.

I deactivated all my plugins and then started back activating them one by one.

The problem did not return when I activated BuddyPress again. The problem returned after I activated BuddyPress again and then went into the Add-ons for Membership 2 and activated BuddyPress Integration.

Please advise how I should proceed.

Many thanks,
    Julie

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Julie,

I hope you're well today.

Thanks for this information, it gave me a good starting point and after some further investigation.

I've managed to recreate this behavior on my own setup and a solution seemed simple - to match settings of BuddyPress "register" page with Membership 2 "register" page, re-save permalinks and re-activate BuddyPress Integration. This solved the issue for me.

However, applying the same on your site didn't help unfortunately. Furthermore I've found out that a lot of requests for BuddyPress related scripts on your site returns HTTP 304 error which basically means that the server is telling browser not to fetch data again but to use what's stored in browser's cache.

Fixing this is definitely worth giving a try in my opinion. Please add this lines to your .htaccess file (right at the beginning):

ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 seconds"

Let me know if it helped!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Julie

Hey Adam,

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

I added the lines to the beginning of the .htaccess file.

I do get a red box between the 2 password fields that will say things like "Mismatch" or "Weak" or "Strong," which is new.

However, with other errors, such as leaving the Username field blank, there is still no error message (same problem as before).

Please advise what I should try now, or if you feel the best solution would be to deactivate BuddyPress at this time. I'd really like to have the additional field of how the user heard about us -- that's the reason I added BuddyPress in the first place -- but it's something that we can do without.

Thank you again for all of your help. I truly appreciate it!

Kind regards,
    Julie

• Julie

Hi Adam & Predrag,

Thanks for all of your help!

Due to the multiple issues of trying to get BuddyPress to work with Membership 2 Pro, I've deactivated BuddyPress. I really wanted to be able to add an additional field to the registration page, but it seems as if BuddyPress is not the way to go.

Now that BuddyPress has been deactivated, when there are errors with filling out the registration form, the error messages seem to be appearing as they should.

Thank you again for all of your help!

Best regards,
    Julie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.