Registration is not working correctly

I joined as a paid member yesterday and installed Protected Content and Membership. Should they both be installed? Are they tripping over each other. I am not able to register - get restricted messages most of the time when i click on register. Not the same restriction message that i put in place.
It seems to be a mess - i need to chat with someone and see what i did wrong. Website is nassauumpires.org

• Randy

Ok, I had installed Protect Content and Membership. I deactivated Membership. Still not working. Here are the details:

I have a site that has content that should be for members only. Only members of the actual group will be invited to join, and will be given a code to use at registration.

I marked several pages as protected, and that seems to be working. Registering is another story
    In Chrome, where I am not registered, clicking on Register gets me a message
    The content you are trying to access is only available to members. Sorry.
    Same thing for Account and Membership.
    I am currently logged in on Firefox as the Admin. Account shows me my info. Memberships says
    We have the following subscriptions available for our site. You can renew, cancel or upgrade your subscriptions by using the forms below.
    Clicking on Signup brings one to the Memberships page, which says
    Please check the details of the membership below and click on the relevant button to complete the signup.
    Clicking on Signup there brings one to the Register page (register-4), which then says Member - free and clicking on Signup takes me nowhere - stuck on that page

I need this to be simple - we send the members an email with the link to the registration page where they have to include the code we sent them to register. When they return, there should be an easy option to sign in. Strangers should not have access to register, and even if they do they cannot complete it without the code. What do I need to get there?

HELP!

• Michelle Shull

Hey Randy!

First up, I know we recommended Protected Content above, but since you need invite codes, Membership is going to be your better plan. (It comes with invite codes built in, Protected Content does not, at this time.)

Once Membership is installed, and you've established your invite codes in the settings, your registration will be handled. Your registration page will still be public, but the only way to complete a registration is with an invite code.

Membership is also a little better suited for your needs, because it works in the opposite way of Protected Content. PC starts with everything available, and lets you choose what content you want to be members-only, Membership, on the other hand, hides everything, and let's you choose what will be shown to non-members.

I think just this switch and a few minutes of setup should get you right where you want to be, Randy.

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the WPMU DEV community!

• Randy

Ok, I deactivated Protect Content and activated Membership again. My setting from before (blocked pages, invite codes) were there. But it is still not working.

When I view the site when not logged in, the pages are blocked as they should be. Trying to view them gives me
    The content you are trying to access is only available to members. Sorry.
    which I think is the default text
    Clicking on Register gives me
    [ms-green-note] We have the following subscriptions available for our site. To join, simply click on the Sign Up button and then complete the registration details. [/ms-green-note][ms-membership-signup]
    Not exactly what we are looking for.

Clicking on Membership gets
    [ms-green-note] We have the following subscriptions available for our site. You can renew, cancel or upgrade your subscriptions by using the forms below. [/ms-green-note][ms-membership-signup]
    Clicking on Account gets
    [ms-membership-account]
    [ms-membership-logout]

Not at all working. Customer is emailing me again asking when we will be fixed.
    Please help!

• Michelle Shull

Hey, Randy!

Okay, what if we do this, instead:

Since membership is invite only, would it be too many extra steps to create a user account, then send the login details, for each member, rather than using an invite code? That way, you could hide the Registration/Membership pages from the menu on the front end, invited members would be sent right to the login page, rather than going through registration.

Alternatively, you can edit each of those Membership pages to show exactly what you want. The default pages can be replaced, and you can choose whether or not to use any of the subscription/registration shortcodes on those pages.

Hope this helps!

• Randy

Thanks for your help.
    It would be fine to send people directly to a registration page - it does not have to be on the menu. I made some changes, and I think it is working.

We can send people a link to the registration page. I have a link to the login page (Standard WP login, is there another?) on the home page - I guess I will put it on the menu too. When people login there, they go to the WP user page - I think that will confuse people. Can we automatically send them to another page - either home or a welcome page?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.