Registration page membership vs. buddypress

Hi there,

before I started using membership, the registration on my site went through the buddypress registration: mydomain/register/ had the registration form and the "Register with Facebook" Button from the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

Now that I disabled the registration via BP/WP (as recommended) and replaced it with the Membership registration, two things appear differently that I would like to change back:
1. New visitors now have to choose a subscription first. I would like to disable this, have them go to the Register form directly and automatically subscribe new users to my free membership/subscription (as in buddypress)
2. The "Register with Facebook"-Button disappeared. It is enabled in the "Facebook Connect" options.

Thanks for your support and all the best,
Eike

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Eike,

Welcome to the Community!

Regarding your question, that is not how Membership works am afraid. And Ultimate Facebook and Membership don't go hand in hand right now.

The only work around I can think of is to use a role based membership. Use the members plugin to create custom roles: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/

Now each post and page will have an access rule associated with it. You can see it in the post meta section. Like only editors can read some stuff, others only subscribers can read.

Members will register like the usual using the WordPress / BuddyPress registration. Ultimate Facebook will work too. You can set the role a member is to be assigned to using the General Settings area.

Then you can have the membership subscription plans on a page and members who want to can sign-up for those. Membership levels on the advanced tab have an option to set associated role. You can change the role of the user there.

I hope this makes sense. See the screenshot attached. What do you think?

• eike_adler
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Arun,

thanks for your answer. Sounds like a workaround - even though I would have hoped my needs are not that far away from the idea behind the membership plugin :wink:

Not sure if the role based workaround is right for me, I won't protect complete pages on my website, just parts of pages (links zu videos on youtube/vimeo)...

I will give your solution a shot and let you know if it worked.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Eike,

Members plugin supports shortcodes as well, you can find them in the readme file in the docs folder in the plugin download, here is the important part:

[access role="administrator,editor"]Hide this content from everyone but administrators and editors.[/access]

[is_user_logged_in]This content is only shown to logged-in users.[/is_user_logged_in]

Hope this helps.

• eike_adler
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @Arun Basil Lal,

I have some questions about your solution:

1. When a user registers now, he is assigned to a role but not to a membership level. I used stranger access and tried automatic assignement to the free subscription that I added, but that doesn't work... And because of that the new user cannot upgrade his subscription (since a membership level is needed for that if I understood the membership plugin correctly).

2. How can I set up a custom subscription page now? Perfect would be to just create a button for each subscription via a shortcode so that I can embed that into my layout. Is that possible?

Thanks for your support,
    Eike

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey @eike_adler

For 1. If you are using the membership plugin, I suppose you mean you are doing that via the User Registration section of the Membership options. It should be set to None. You are right when you said a Membership level is needed to upgrade.

See the screenshot attached and see if that setting is set to None.

2. Once the links are created by the plugin, each Membership plan has a direct link to a page (from the sign-up button). That would the link. You could use this plugin to create neat pricing table: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/pricing-table/screenshots/

I hope this helps.

• eike_adler
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

1: Well, I tried your solution to select "None", but still a new member is not able to select a membership subscription.
    On the subscription page it says: "You do not currently have any subscriptions in place. You can sign up for a new subscription by selecting one below".
    Then the user sees my subscription plans, but no "subscribe" buttons.

In the backend, the new user is signed up with the right user role, and is recognized by the membership plugin, but without any subscription or membership level. -> Still cannot upgrade.

Feel free to register and try it out on my test-blog: http://topdogs.zsr-verlag.de
    where I am trying to get it working (before using it on my live page)

2: maybe I am not awake enough this morning... :wink: but I don't understand. which sign-up button? Where do I find that?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey @eike_adler

Where can I see this for real? Can you hook me up with an admin account so that I can test this out and resolve?

Please give me a link, and admin access, and do send it over to: arun [at] incsub.com

Looking forward to it.

The links, you should see it on the register page, the pages that you reach to when you hit sign-up. You are not using the WordPress registration right? (all other forms of registration must be disabled).

I will get you the links myself.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.