Registration Page - step 2 subscription - description not showing up - random black box

Hello,
After switching my site to a new theme ('Professional' by Elegant Themes) I ran into a Registration Page problem at step 2 - see screenshot. What can be done about this to get it fixed?

***My settings are below, and worked fine in the past:
1. I have registration disabled in your sites options.
2. I have created a "Registration" page with the subscription shortcode on it and assigned this as my registration page in the membership options.

• aecnu

Greetings BDA4,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

After switching my site to a new theme ('Professional' by Elegant Themes) I ran into a Registration Page problem at step 2 - see screenshot. What can be done about this to get it fixed?

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you with any WordPress issues at all, so let's see what we can do!

What I will do is ask the lead developer of the Membership plugin if they can see or know of any specific issues that could be causing this. Of course this can take a bit longer than a regular support ticket - so if you could post any progress you have trying to debug the problem here too in the meantime that would really help.

Looking forward to sorting out your issue for you and thanks again for being a WPMU DEV member.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• BDA4

Thanks aecnu, glad to be an EliteMember.

Support for the membership plugin is what I'm looking for and not the theme - I hope that was clear in my original post. Thanks for forwarding to the lead developer, and I am waiting for that response since I am stuck on this.

Do you have any ideas how I might 'debug' this problem while I await the lead developer's response?

Thanks for your Support.

• BDA4

Is the error below apart of my problem?

In the membership plugin's membershippublic.php file the language around line 1005 is referring to the subscription page and rendering options which is what my problem is about. Screenshot of membership.php line 1005 provided below.

PHP Notice: Undefined index: action in /home/freshjen/freshnurse.ca/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershippublic.php on line 1005

• BDA4

More errors I've received regarding subscription page - hope these narrow it down too:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: user_login in /home/freshjen/freshnurse.ca/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 12
    [13-Feb-2012 21:51:14] PHP Notice: Undefined index: user_email in /home/freshjen/freshnurse.ca/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 16
    [13-Feb-2012 21:51:14] PHP Notice: Undefined index: user_email2 in /home/freshjen/freshnurse.ca/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 21
    [13-Feb-2012 21:51:14] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: errors in /home/freshjen/freshnurse.ca/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/includes/registration.form.php on line 39
    [13-Feb-2012 21:51:19]

screenshot of file for 'registration.form.php' below.

• Mason

Hiya BDA4,

In this case it would be super helpful if I could look at the actual code on your site. Is it public somewhere that you could provide a link? If not, can you send a link through our contact form here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Just put my name in the subject area and provide a link to this thread along with the site link (and admin credentials if ya like so I can check your membership settings).

Would love to see this resolved for you.

Thanks!

• DavidM

Hi BDA4,

Working with Mason on this, I took a look at your theme's css and the issue is that the theme itself is using a .description class for it's featured slider which is conflicting with Membership's .description class for the subscription descriptions.

The problem though, is that the theme doesn't specify a parent div, so there's not a way to restrict that .description class definition to just the slider, so it's affecting all .description occurrences, such as is occurring with Membership's.

What I've attempted as a result, is I've done a minor edit to your theme's stylesheet, adding in the "#featured" bit to limit the css styles to just your slider, as follows:

#featured div.description {background: url(images/description-bg.png) no-repeat; position: absolute; height: 232px; width: 512px; bottom: 0px; left: 0px;}
    #featured div.description h2.title {padding: 33px 40px 17px 30px; font-size: 36px; }
    #featured div.description h2.title a {text-decoration:none; color:#fff; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.8);}
    #featured div.description p {color:#fff; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.5); padding-left: 33px; padding-right: 35px; line-height: 17px;}
    #featured div.description a.readmore { background: url(images/featured-readmore.png) no-repeat bottom right; display: block; height: 25px; line-height: 23px; float: right; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #000000; font-size: 11px; float: right; color: #ffffff; padding-right: 13px; margin-right: 40px; }
    #featured div.description a.readmore span { display: block; background: url(images/featured-readmore.png) no-repeat; padding:0 0px 0 12px; height:25px; }
    #featured div.description a:hover { color: #eeeeee !important; }

That said, if that presents any issues at all, I can easily revert that back to the prior version for you. It's really just a process of removing the "#featured" text.

Ultimately, what you'll want to do is use a child theme of that parent theme and post these styles to that child theme's style.css file, so that updates to the parent theme won't delete your changes.

Just let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,
    David

• BDA4

Hi David,

The subscription description's are working at this point, but I see your point about the usefulness of a child theme. Is it right to assume that it would be fine to use the wordpress instructions for creating a child theme?

As well, are there any major changes to the membership plugin on the horizon - that will affect this particular css.styles tweak? I am trying to set this website to be functional without major impediment (ie. upgrades) until June 1.

Lastly, thank you for your help on this issue. I appreciate your assistance, and Mason's. It's definitely noted.

As an aside, I understand your point about the theme code being undesirable without a parent div, but when things stop working it's still hard to evaluate where one should go for support/solutions. If I update the plugin first and it's a problem, then it's the plugin. If I update the theme first and it's a problem, then it's the theme. Reminds me of the age old and tireless expression: 'what came first the chicken or the egg'. At least that's the way it seems to work for me - a non-"developer" who is developing a website.

Thanks again, and hopefully this works

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.