Registration Process With Ultimate FB, BBpress, BudyPress & Membership 2 Pro

When you have Ultimate FB, BBpress, BudyPress & Membership 2 Pro activated on a website, who controls the registration process?
The desired result is to have 1 click registration from Ultimate Facebook and a manual process with Membership 2 Pro. We are currently using the Ultimate Facebook connect shortcode, however, it does not resolve. The following is a screenshot of the current Ultimate Facebook settings http://screencast.com/t/r9lHDU3ojS
Additionally, is it possible to use another login plugin ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-social-login/ ) while keeping Ultimate Facebook for some of their other features?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell, hope you're doing well this evening! :slight_smile:

When you have Ultimate FB, BBpress, BudyPress & Membership 2 Pro activated on a website, who controls the registration process?

With BuddyPress's registration page disabled, you should be able to have either Membership 2 Pro or Ultimate Facebook control the registration process.

When you say this though:

We are currently using the Ultimate Facebook connect shortcode, however, it does not resolve.

What's going on, could you elaborate?

And could you please revoke & re-grant Support Access to your site? I'm running into an error when I try logging in, and revoking & re-granting usually does the trick. :slight_smile:

Additionally, is it possible to use another login plugin ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-social-login/ ) while keeping Ultimate Facebook for some of their other features?

You could give it a try, though I'd want to disable that plugin's Facebook registration in that case, just to make sure that there isn't a conflict there.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

I'm finding your site's taking a mighty long time to load between pages tonight, but in looking into this:

Not sure how much more i can elaborate.

I take it you're seeing that instead of seeing a Facebook registration form, you're seeing a blank area on the page? :slight_smile:

If so, then may I ask which shortcode you're using? Are you using the [wdfb_connect] shortcode, or the [wdfb_register_button] shortcode?

For what you're looking to do, the [wdfb_connect] shortcode would be the one you're looking for, which page were you trying to set this shortcode up on?

Also, not sure how to disable buddypress registration.

For this site, you'd simply want to go to:

Settings -> BuddyPress -> Pages

And set the "Register" page to "- None -" there. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I redesigned the home page to reduce the load time.

I take it you're seeing that instead of seeing a Facebook registration form, you're seeing a blank area on the page? :slight_smile:

We are seeing the Facebook button fine. It takes a while for the button to complete if it completes at all. I have re-granted support access.

If so, then may I ask which shortcode you're using? Are you using the [wdfb_connect] shortcode, or the [wdfb_register_button] shortcode?

That is correct.
    Will shutting off the buddypress registration page still allow for an account to be made in buddypress? The desired result is that the Ultimate Facebook (pulling in username as full name, first name, last name & email address) or the Membership Registration page will create the user, add the free membership in Membership 2 Pro and redirect them. We have deactivated the buddypress registration page.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell, no worries, thanks for getting back to me on this! :slight_smile:

We are seeing the Facebook button fine. It takes a while for the button to complete if it completes at all.

I do see what you mean here, though I am seeing load times of over a minute for just the home page (thanks to the time it takes for the server to respond), so we're looking at diagnosing the cause of said slow response times here.

(I was able to create an account using your Facebook login button though, but it does take a bit, due to the slow response time from the server)

The fact that there's 120+ plugins (counting both network activated plugins, as well as the plugins active on the subsite itself) is one thing that's on my radar, but I'd also like to ask... who's the site being hosted with presently? And what type of hosting do you have presently?

The performance in the back end seems to be okay in the Network Dashboard (aside from when I try logging in to the Dashboard for wealthtrainingcommunity.com, that can take a while too), but I do see that navigating to some areas inside of the Dashboard for wealthtrainingcommunity.com can take a while.

Will shutting off the buddypress registration page still allow for an account to be made in buddypress?

Users will still be able to access BuddyPress, we're just changing the method for a user being able to create an account on the site. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Edit: Bonus question, regarding the performance issues: did this site have performance issues like this before Ultimate Facebook was implemented? What was changed on the site around the time that this all started happening?

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissettthanks for the reply...

The server is hosted by certified hosting. configuration is as follows:
    Product/Service:
    Managed Dedicated Servers - 10TB-i3dualcore Active
    RAM Upgrades:
    8GB ECC DDR3
    RAID Options:
    None - Standard
    Primary Hard Drive Options:
    250GB Enterprise Grade SATA II - Standard
    Hard Drive 2 Options:
    250GB Enterprise Grade SATA II
    Bandwidth Upgrade Options:
    30TB Transfer (100Mbps Uplink) - Standard
    Operating System Options:
    CentOS - Latest Stable (64Bit) - Standard
    Control Panel Options:
    cPanel/WHM/Softaculous - Recommended, Requires CentOS
    Turbo Boost:
    Varnish Cache (A web application accelerator. You install it in front of your web application and it will speed it up significantly)
    Plus Cloudflare

Everything is telling me to minify, however, I am not sure how to do that. I tried to follow the instructions from Google Page Speed and the Pingdom website, but have failed miserably...

I also tried to add the speed boost plugin, however, that causes css errors... specific instruction would be greatly appreciated...

As far as when all of this happened. It was when we cloned the wunlivingcommunity.com website to wealthtrainingcommunity.com :slight_frown:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

Thanks for all of the info on your hosting, that really helps! :slight_smile:

BTW - the login works from the wp-admin even though if takes awhile from the website... Does that use Ultimate Facebook as well?

You're referring to the "Login with Facebook" button there, right? If so, then yep, that's using Ultimate Facebook. :slight_smile:

As far as when all of this happened. It was when we cloned the wunlivingcommunity.com website to wealthtrainingcommunity.com :slight_frown:

Which is interesting, as I notice that wunlivingcommunity.com is pretty slow itself... your main site's quite a different story though in terms of speed, that loads pretty much instantly (more representative of the power your hosting has).

This seems like something we'll need to have a look under the hood for, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

After a good deal of digging into this, one thing that I'm seeing come up would be this entry in your site's error log (the partial version being posted here):

[23-Jul-2015 04:42:28 UTC] WordPress database error Table 'leadedge_lwae.wp_reports_post_activity' doesn't exist for query SELECT COUNT(*) FROM wp_reports_post_activity WHERE blog_ID = 18 AND post_ID = 20925

The "wp_reports_post_activity" table would be related to our User Reports plugin, it looks like that table doesn't exist right now on your site.

I'd like to have a closer look at your database for this one, I'll be sending an email requesting cPanel details. :slight_smile:

On another front, disabling almost of the plugins on your network does help, as I did notice a page speed increase. I do wonder though if there's more issues inside of the database here.

Also, given the fact that I got a 520 error from Cloudflare twice in the process of looking into this, checking in with the host sounds like a good idea as well, just to see if there's anything they can see on their end regarding this.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

I noticed that your wp_posts table is pretty large, so I tried optimizing that for you (after making a backup of course), but even with that, I found that things were still slow.

I do have to wonder if the configuration for MySQL is optimal though, given that I also had a connection issue or two with phpMyAdmin (not to mention, the loading of your list of posts took a similar amount of time to load). This script should help with the analyzing of that:

https://launchpad.net/mysql-tuning-primer

In the meantime though, I think that this is something we're going to want to call in our SLS staff for, as this looks to require more advanced troubleshooting.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett Thanks for looking... We tried to run the WP-DBManager and WP Optimizer and it blew up the website. There are alot of revisions.

Not sure what to do with the script link. Is that something that I ask the hosting company to install or run once and provide the results.

Let me know when the member of the SLS Support will be working on the website and I trust that you will be sharing the account details...

Additionally, I tried to run an Update Network (suggested after WP update), however, was not able to because of the following error:

Warning! Problem updating http://wpmudevtest.leadwithanedge.com. Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: Couldn't resolve host 'wpmudevtest.leadwithanedge.com'

I am also hoping that once we have eliminated the errors, that we would be able to looking into the Google Page Speed suggestion and how we can minify the CSS and JS.

PS I also noticed that from the network admin page, the dropdown to list the websites in the multi-network is showing the sub-domain vs the mapped domain.

Thanks again

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

Not sure what to do with the script link. Is that something that I ask the hosting company to install or run once and provide the results.

It's something that you'd want to run, and based upon what it reports, I'd ask your hosting company if some changes could be made. It's possible that it won't take some things into account (as the script's from a while ago), but it should give some helpful insight. :slight_smile:

Additionally, I tried to run an Update Network (suggested after WP update), however, was not able to because of the following error:

Warning! Problem updating http://wpmudevtest.leadwithanedge.com. Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: Couldn't resolve host 'wpmudevtest.leadwithanedge.com'

Ah, that'd be due to a test site I created on your network, it seems that instead of having a wildcard subdomain for your network, it's necessary to add a A record for each subdomain, is that right?

You can remove that site from the network if you wish, it doesn't need to be there right now. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett

I asked the hosting company to run the script. They replied with the following:

Sure, we can run this script for you.
    However, please be aware, this script looks like it will
    alter your MySQL configurations which may cause some issues.
    At the very least, it looks like it will be changing something.

If you are certain you would like to run this, let me know,

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

In regards to that script I mentioned, it should be a read only script, designed to offer suggestions regarding the configuration of MySQL. In researching this further though, you may wish to use this script instead, as it's more up-to-date:

https://github.com/major/MySQLTuner-perl

(The file in question being the mysqltuner.pl script)

This would be something for the folks managing your site to look over, and make adjustments as seems fit (the author of the script posted a readme on the page I linked to, I'd strongly suggest the reviewing of that).

The last backup was run July 23rd.
    However, this only backs up your accounts. Not any server configurations.
    I have made a backup of the entire /var/lib/mysql directory and /etc/my.cnf.

I trust this was feedback from your host? :slight_smile:

If, then props to them, backing up those areas (in addition to the backup performed on the 23rd) sure won't hurt.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett

Thank you for the reply. I have forwarded the request to the hosting company.

Additionally, we are experiencing difficulty with one of our users logging in. Could this be because of the deactivation of the buddypress registration page. Also, we are now noticing a couple of pending users, however, we can't access the pending page. Is this users that need to reply to an email? one additional "also" with the old Membership plugin we we able to set a default access and then once the registered with ultimate facebook it created an account and bumped them to our free membership. This is not happening.... Whyyyy lol

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

Additionally, we are experiencing difficulty with one of our users logging in. Could this be because of the deactivation of the buddypress registration page.

What kind of difficulty, could you elaborate on this one? I wouldn't think that disabling BuddyPress's registration page would change that (though you could always try setting it back up again, temporarily, just to test).

Also, we are now noticing a couple of pending users, however, we can't access the pending page. Is this users that need to reply to an email?

In regards to not being able to access the pending page, this would happen when BuddyPress is activated site by site, rather than being network activated, it's a bug that they're working on:

https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5977

Did you happen to change how BuddyPress was activated recently?

And yes, these would be users that need to click on the link in the activation email that's sent to them. :slight_smile:

one additional "also" with the old Membership plugin we we able to set a default access and then once the registered with ultimate facebook it created an account and bumped them to our free membership. This is not happening.... Whyyyy lol

Membership 2 Pro does more than one thing differently than our old Membership Pro plugin, you'll want to create a "Default Membership", selecting the "Default Membership" type when creating a membership, as this is the equivalent of that option.

When a user gets created by Ultimate Facebook (without registering for a membership), he'll have access to the content allowed in that default membership of yours. :slight_smile:

I have sent you the script results via email

The results of the script (particularly the recommendations) would be something for your host to consider, as they're the ones in charge of the configuration of your hosting.

The "Recommendations" section in the email you sent does advise that the recommendations may be inaccurate, due to MySQL being started very recently (instead of the service running for a while, thus having a longer history), so it's to be taken with a grain of salt.

These two entries there though do catch my eye:

- Run OPTIMIZE TABLE to defragment tables for better performance
    - Enable the slow query log to troubleshoot bad queries

But in the end, like I said, this'd be something for your host to consider. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

I had to adjust your wp-config.php, seems like there was an entry at the top of the file that needed to be moved. I also found that I had to delete a blank line at the end of the file to get things back up and running.

Is it showing up properly on your end now as well? :slight_smile:

And where were you trying to insert this define:

define( 'WP_POST_REVISIONS', 5 );

And have you tried inserting it directly above the "That's all, stop editing!" line in wp-config.php?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett

I want to tell you how much I value the service that you and the rest of the staff provide. You are the best asset to my team...

And have you tried inserting it directly above the "That's all, stop editing!" line in wp-config.php?

I tried to insert it directly below:

define('MULTISITE', true);
    define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'leadwithanedge.com');
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

and above the "That's all, stop editing!" and then shazam... should I try it again... now that you have removed the first two lines?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

I've just gone ahead and inserted it for you above the line I mentioned, so you're all good there now. :slight_smile:

I did also notice a couple of really large log files (mainly inside of your wp-admin folder, but there was one in the main folder as well), that I've temporarily moved to a separate folder (if they're not needed anymore, particularly by your host, then it'd be safe to delete them; large log files can be a cause of slow performance too).

However, at this point, after doing some further digging, the extreme slowness of your site seems to tie into the amount of plugins that are active, and how many resources they're using.

The trick is, with 120 plugins active (between network activated plugins, and those active on the site), that's a lot of plugins to go through, and test disabling each one (or some of them) at a time.

Unless your host has some additional performance logs on their end though, that may be what's necessary here. :disappointed:

With all but our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin disabled, I'm seeing that the performance statistics stay in a pretty comfortable region in WHM, the Server Load doesn't go higher than 2.5 (seeing as you have 4 CPUs, a value of 4 would mean 100% usage of all of your CPUs), and the Memory Used doesn't go above 20%.

As long as the stats stay there, or around there, things go fairly smoothly. Once those numbers really ratchet up though (e.g. a value of 7-10 for Server Load, and 50-60% memory usage), that's when I notice things start to tank. :disappointed:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett
    I am still not able to create accounts via facebook login. While going through some of the plugins and looking for Facebook settings. I noticed the following error message:
    http://screencast.com/t/Ev8dCvrrWw
    Should not each of the sub-domains have a user table? It appears that all of the sub-domains do not...

In addition, when we use a dummy account, it will log in, however, it does not show the user in the user dashboard or as a member in Membership 2 Pro.

• Thomas Edgell

@Tyler Postle per our chat, I have turned on the buddypress registration via the buddypress add-on in Membership 2 Pro. This has now changed the membership registration to http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/?step=register vs http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/
    This seems to pull in the the extended profiles and might be creating a challenge for Ultimate Facebook to match the field mappings for the Facebook Connect to work properly. If the profiles need to be edited and/or deleted, please let me know.
    Support Access has been granted.

• Thomas Edgell

Jude had me add the following in order to add the FB SDK site wide:

add_action('wp_head','add_fb_js');

function add_fb_js() {

$output="
    <script>
    window.fbAsyncInit = function() {
    FB.init({
    appId : 'myappid',
    xfbml : true,
    version : 'v2.4'
    });
    };

(function(d, s, id){
    var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
    if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;}
    js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
    js.src = '//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js';
    fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
    }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));
    </script>
    ";

echo $output;
    }

Just wanted to keep you in the loop...

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell, thanks for the update here! :slight_smile:

I noticed that there was an error related to the Easy Fancybox plugin when I tried accessing your site this time around, but I was able to get around that by modifying the code for that plugin a little.

I had to change line 52 of:

/wp-content/plugins/easy-fancybox/easy-fancybox.php

From this:

define( 'EASY_FANCYBOX_SUBDIR', 'easy-fancybox/' );

To this:

define( 'EASY_FANCYBOX_SUBDIR', '' );

To focus on the main parts here though, I'm now seeing that Facebook logins are now creating new users, as I was just able to go and create an account of my own on your site.

To touch on this:

In addition, when we use a dummy account, it will log in, however, it does not show the user in the user dashboard or as a member in Membership 2 Pro.

How was this account created initially? And does he have a membership assigned to him presently? (users that don't have a membership will use the Default Membership, but they're not shown as being "assigned" it).

I have turned on the buddypress registration via the buddypress add-on in Membership 2 Pro. This has now changed the membership registration to http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/?step=register vs http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/
    This seems to pull in the the extended profiles and might be creating a challenge for Ultimate Facebook to match the field mappings for the Facebook Connect to work properly.

May I ask how it's creating a challenge presently? Or has this been resolved already?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Thomas Edgell

@Michael Bissett
    Thank you for fixing the error.
    Last night I was playing around with the profile fields (as that was a new feature that was added with the last M2Pro update) and I was able to create 3 dummy accounts.

They are now showing in the network users, sub-site users & M2Pro with the proper subscription when using Ultimate Facebook button from M2Pro login short code and/or Connect shortcode. The first name is still not getting pulled in. It seems like the culprit is "Profile feilds not getting matched properly between UFB, M2Pro, BP Extended fields & the registration page.

How was this account created initially? And does he have a membership assigned to him presently? (users that don't have a membership will use the Default Membership, but they're not shown as being "assigned" it).

The accounts were created with Ultimate Facebook and the default membership is set to "Visitor", however, it is grayed out.

I have turned on the buddypress registration via the buddypress add-on in Membership 2 Pro. This has now changed the membership registration to http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/?step=register vs http://wealthtrainingcommunity.com/membership-registration/
    This seems to pull in the the extended profiles and might be creating a challenge for Ultimate Facebook to match the field mappings for the Facebook Connect to work properly.
    May I ask how it's creating a challenge presently? Or has this been resolved already?

The only challenge that I see is the duplicate email field when accessing the BuddyPress registration page (there seems to be confusion as to which fields to use since the M2Pro and buddyPress have duplicate name fields)

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Thomas Edgell,

They are now showing in the network users, sub-site users & M2Pro with the proper subscription when using Ultimate Facebook button from M2Pro login short code and/or Connect shortcode. The first name is still not getting pulled in. It seems like the culprit is "Profile feilds not getting matched properly between UFB, M2Pro, BP Extended fields & the registration page.

From what I'm seeing, the information from Facebook is being mapped to the proper BuddyPress fields (as that's what Ultimate Facebook is targeting, not the normal WordPress fields), is that what you're seeing?

The accounts were created with Ultimate Facebook and the default membership is set to "Visitor", however, it is grayed out.

As mentioned earlier:

...users that don't have a membership will use the Default Membership, but they're not shown as being "assigned" it

So them coming up as being a "Visitor" is the expected behavior. :slight_smile:

The only challenge that I see is the duplicate email field when accessing the BuddyPress registration page (there seems to be confusion as to which fields to use since the M2Pro and buddyPress have duplicate name fields)

One idea comes up, as an alternative to BuddyPress's register page: Given that the page looks to simply register a user (and not assign a subscription), what if you were to create a register page, and place this shortcode onto it:

[ms-membership-register-user]

You'd still have the benefit of the BuddyPress fields, without having that email field show up twice. How's that sounding? :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.