Regular category taxonomies not finding custom post type

Hi. I have created a custom post type in CustomPress, and have set the option in that custom post type to Support Regular Taxonomies for categories. When I edit on of those custom posts, the regular categories appear, and I can select them.

But when I go to the category page for that category, none of the custom post types show up.

Settings for the custom post type are as follows:

Post Type: opinions
Supports: Title, Editor, Author, Thumbnail, Excerpt, Comments, Revisions
Support Regular Taxonomies: Categories
Capability Type: post
Map Meta Capabilities: True
Custom Fields: This post type does not use any Custom Fields
Public: True
Show UI: True
Show in Nav Menus: True
Publicly Queryable: True
Exclude from Search: False
Hierarchal: False
Has Archive: True (Custom Slug blank)
Rewrite: True (All options blank)
EP Mask: EP_NONE
Query Var: True
Can Export: True

• Russell Weller
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Joe. The site is covered by an under construction plugin right now, so you'll have to login at http://www.caspercitizen.com/wp-login to access the page. The username and password are both testuser (lowercase).

The actual page is http://www.caspercitizen.com/opinion/

It should be showing Opinion custom post types that are filed under the regular taxonomy categories for letters (there are three posts filed this way). On that page, it is trying to display those posts using a widget. But the same problem exists on the category page:

http://www.caspercitizen.com/category/opinion/letters/

In both cases, I also tried with all unnecessary plugins turned off with twenty eleven as the theme with the same issue.

I'm not using the standalone CustomPress plugin. I'm using the one bundled with Classifieds because I'm also using that plugin. Not sure if that's an issue.

• Russell Weller
    • Flash Drive

@applemarketing The link Joe provided goes through it. Basically, you create custom taxonomies (categories, tags, or both) and associate them with the custom post type.

Then I had to figure out a way to use the custom post type taxonomies to display those posts in a custom loop and in some widgets I was using. Took some trial and error, but eventually got it working in the loop, and I found a modification to the widget I was already using that added custom post type functionality.

Doing menu items was easy, since CustomPress makes those custom taxonomies available in the Menus settings.

Russ

• andy_paterson
    • Flash Drive

I have seen the same issue, but am not keen on creating workarounds of duplicate/similar custom taxonomies - I need to share the tags between custom post types and normal post types. eg I have a recipes custom post type, and so would like to tag some as vegetarian. I may also want to tag some normal posts as that too.

What I am seeing is that if I tag my custom post with vegetarian I don't then see it at mysite.com/tag/vegetarian. I only see my normal (non-custom) posts that I tagged as vegetarian. (There is no previous/next entry links shown, and if I untag the normal post, then I get 'Not Found'.) I know they are both tagged the same as I can see a count of 2 when looking at the tags page.

I have 1.3.3 and WP 3.5.1 and have a MultiSite install.

Many thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings andy_paterson,

Thank you for your feedback and I believe this is absolutely unintended use and that the work around is exactly what was called for to make it work in the unintended use manner which is then custom coding and beyond the scope of the support we provide here though we do try to help if we can.

However, I will not make that final call regarding unintended use, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Your better off creating custom taxonomies because there are various places in Wordpress that can't handle a mix of the old legacy categories with a custom type.

But it depends on what your doing. If you want to try mixing them you need to check the "Support Regular Taxonomies" And you need to go to Custompress >Settings and check the Mix of post types you need to display on the different page types.

For example if you want to search by category which is an Archive page you'd need to check your custom post type And the "post" post type so both will show. Make sure you uncheck Default as it overrides the other boxes.

• andy_paterson
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for the help. It is essentially the archive page I wanted to get working since logically if I read a custom post recipe tagged as vegetarian, I would also want to see the other vegetarian posts.

I know have it working based on your help - I hadn't realised about unchecking the default box.

Thanks again,
    Andy

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.