Regular snapshot fails if media is included

While taking a regular snapshot, it fails when media backup goes to 12%. Please help fix this.

• Mohmmad Sharab
    • Staff

Hello Mark,

Hope you are doing well today and sorry to hear about the issue you are having.

I was able to replicate this issue on your site as the Snapshot I started returned "REQUEST TIMEOUT " error and 500 error in the console when the progress reached 82% (12% in media).

I have looked into your website and found a few issues that will most definitely stop Snapshot from finishing properly.

1 - When checking your disk space in your cPanel > Disk Usage > public_html I see that there is not enough space to create a backup including your media files as your media folder is the largest folder on your site.
    To solve this issue would you please free some space on your server then try to create a Snapshot again.

2 - I notice that the process of creating a Snapshot is casing your "I/O usage" to hit its limits. If the I/O Usage limit is reached then the server will not respond or respond with an error like 500 Internal Server error. Once this error is reached the script will stop working and Snapshot stops working. So would you please ask your host if they could raise I/O usage limit?

Please let me know how it goes to decide on the next steps to be taken to solve the issue in case the issue still persisted.

Kind Regards,
    Mohammad Sharab

• Mark
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there,

I have moved the site to a new hosting packaging, there is 25GB of space, (the site itself is less than 1.5 GB in size)
    the package has 2GB of Ram now (1GB before) and 2 vCPU (1vCPU before)

I can't increase the I/O as it's not an option.

I'm still having the exact same issue.

This is a pretty big hosting package. what else do I need to do to make this work now?

Mark

• Mohmmad Sharab
    • Staff

Hello Mark,

thank you for the update.
    I am sorry to hear that you continue experiencing troubles with Snapshot.

I’ve tried to create a new Snapshot and it fails at the same point. I couldn’t access cPanel to check cPanel states or to investigate this further as the credentials I got are not valid anymore. So would you please send me your FTP and cPanl credentials through our safe contact form
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Mohammad Sharab"

- (S)FTP credentials for file access (host/username/password/path of the website in question)
    - server panel/cPanel (login URL/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/regular-snapshot-fails-if-media-is-included)
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Moreover, I tried to back up your site through Managed Backup but it returns “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” in the console, after more than hour.

At this point, I would advise to add the following Snapshot settings to your wp-config.php file:

/* Snapshot Settings */
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 50);
    define('SNAPSHOT_TABLESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_LARGE_FILE_SIZE', 104857600);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_USE_PRECACHE', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_FORCE_ZIP_LIBRARY', 'pclzip');
    define('SNAPSHOT_ATTEMPT_SYSTEM_BACKUP', true);
    define('SNAPSHOT_IGNORE_SYMLINKS',true);
    /* End of Snapshot Settings */

Those lines should be placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */"

Then try to create a backup through Managed Backup then through Snapshot.

Hope this helps and please let me know how it goes. I am standing by to provide further assistance.

Kind Regards,
    Mohammad Sharab

• Mohmmad Sharab
    • Staff

Hello Mark,

hope you are doing well today and glad that this fix worked for you.

What does this mean?

The code you've added called

Snapshot Defines

which let you control and modify the way managed backups and snapshots are done when you have certain issues like yours.

Should I do anything specific now?

No, just keep the code in your wp-config.php file.

should I just copy the setting across in wp-config.php again?

Yes, if your having the same issue of one of your site, copy those defines then test again.

Hope this helps and please let me know how goes.

Kind Regards,
    Mohammad Sharab

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.