reindex all posts

Hi!

Is there any way to reindex existed posts/pages/custom post types? I need a global search now and will try the global search plugin in combination with post-indexer.

Thanks!
Markus

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Markus,

I do not think it can be done though if I were personally going to try to do it, after doing an entire backup of my WordPress installation I would export all of my posts etc., wipe them from the database, and then import them while Post Indexer was activated. Hopefully I would get the desired results, but from what I have read in the past here on WPMU Dev not likely.

However, I certainly do not know everything, so I will go ahead and see if I can get the lead developer of the Post Indexer plugin in here to offer his invaluable advice to whether or not this can be done.

Also maybe a feature request to have an option to re-index all posts would be in order, we will see by the developers response.

Though this may take longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• digitsoft
    • The Crimson Coder

I worked on this for 4 hours...and eventually conceded. I genuinely think it's possible, but requires far more time than I have.

Here are the ideas if someone wants to run with it
    1. With php & mysql directly - I have a good part of this working, but so many queries are still needed.
    2. Each site admin is forced to run something when they login - like one of these:
    - loop through all posts and auto saves them, which forces the post indexer to run
    - use a subset of code from #1

@joe - through this I came up with a new plugin idea - force site admins to take some action before they can get to the admin screen (greybox or the like). I posted it in uservoice...

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Markus and Rob,

I think unfortunately we will find the same kind of answer Rob gave from the lead developer though I will certainly not put words into his mouth or more accurately fingertips ..... lol

@Rob no doubt! there are many things to make this a great plugin.

Cheers, Joe

• envatodev
    • New Recruit

Is there any update on this? Indexing past posts is a necessity.

Looking at the wp-site-posts schema, i would think it possible to just write a script which iterates over every post and compiles an entry into this table?

Are there caveats that I am missing?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

The largest issue is for big sites and indexing all the content but as mentioned you could look to loop through that content gradually.

It has been discussed internally and Barry mentioned about doing it with an ajax loader.

No further details can be confirmed at this time though, sorry. I wish I could, I have a few larger sites myself which could do with this.

As this is still kinda a feature request I'll move it over to the appropriate forums for now.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.