reinstalling

Hi,

Installed Directory. Long story but …I deactivated it, deleted the directory and then reinstalled. But after reinstall it appears to be skipping the configuration step and now when I point to ./listings/ I get a 404 error. What can I do to start over from scratch and get a clean install?

Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @the_liberal_gun_club,

You might just try going to Settings>Permalinks in your WordPress Dashboard and clicking the save button. This refreshes the permalinks and often sorts problems like this.

If that doesn’t help, could we get a link to the site? You should also be able to go to Listings>Settings in your admin and adjust any configurations under the available tabs there.

Let us know. Thanks!

• the_liberal_gun_club
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Masonjames,

Refreshing the permalinks did the trick, I can now access the ‘listings’ page.

However, not all of the shortcodes work, all of the ones that don’t work result in a 404 error.

I put up a quick page with several buttons on it to demonstrate, as well as a list of fake listings: http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/directory/

2 issues:

1. The buttons ‘add listing’ and ‘my listings’ and ‘sign in’ created from your shortcodes all result in 404 errors.

2. Displayed subcategories are being written on top of the next category. I am sure there is a template where I can edit this behavior somewhere, any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Ok, glad we’re making some progress, let’s take a look:

The buttons ‘add listing’ and ‘my listings’ and ‘sign in’ created from your shortcodes all result in 404 errors.

It appears you need to create the page “Add Listing” in order to provide that. Things like “My Listings” and “Go to Profile” are probably better served for logged-in members only since a visitor won’t have either of those just yet.

Same thing on those though, you’ll want to add a page called “My Listings”. This is normally done by directory during installation, and probably didn’t happen as the installation had trouble.

2. Displayed subcategories are being written on top of the next category. I am sure there is a template where I can edit this behavior somewhere, any suggestions?

Add the following bit of CSS wherever you’re adding custom code to help clear things up:

.dr_list h2 { clear:both; }

That should do the trick for ya. Thanks!

• the_liberal_gun_club
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Ok, this has been very helpful. Still not quite there, but close I feel :slight_smile: Thanks for your patience and help with this.

So….. it seems that, for example, the “Add Listing” button is pointing to a page at /add-listing/ But, like you said, that page isn’t there. But when I go to create that page, it won’t let me. It keeps changing the address from /add-listing/ to /add-listing-2/ … so somewhere WP thinks there is a page called /add-listing/ but there really isn’t. I think if I can figure out how to get WP to forget that there was once a page called /add-listing/ then I can recreate the pages and everything will be fine. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @the_liberal_gun_club,

Woohoo! Glad we’re getting closer :slight_smile:

Ok, if the slug is changing to add-listing-2 that does mean WP thinks there’s already a page created somewhere. Are you sure there’s nothing in the ‘trash’ for posts or pages?

If there’s nothing there we’ll have to look in the database itself and find the wp_posts table and scroll through looking for a post with a slug of ‘add-listing’.

If it was a legit post/page then we wouldn’t get a 404 so hopefully we’ll find something in the database.

Let us know. Thanks!

• the_liberal_gun_club
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well, I’ll be. I never added up the totals but I thought the “all pages” included trashes things. Makes sense, I have no idea why I didn’t think of that. Glad it was such a simple solution. All the pages seem to be working now – just a matter of cleaning up code so it looks pretty on my site. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.