MarketPress: Related / Featured Products

Is there a way to display related products and/or featured products? I really have a need for both. The client wants the featured products to be manually selected(checkbox in product entry type of thing) and the related products can obviously be auto generated. Not sure how I could tie the products together though. Maybe through tags?

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @Parking

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member of our community.

As @pcwriter said, you can have a look at the thread link that he provided. You might find some useful tips in there. Definitely the Dynamic Widgets is worth looking into.

And then I would also like to add. If you're using the FrameMarket Theme with MarketPress, why not simply add the widgets for the featured and recently added products. You can achieve this by using the Product List Widget (see the screenshots). Just customize it to your needs, as what I did.

Another personal favorite of mine is the Widgets on Pages Plugin that allows you to add widgets to posts, pages and to specific page side bars.

I like to keep things simple and unless really necessary, try to customize with css and additional plugins/ widgets.

All the best with setting up your site and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Have a good weekend!

Gina

• Parking
    • Flash Drive

Thank you both for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

I cannot get dynamic widgets to run on my site(maybe its not compatible with multi-site). I can always just use widget logic and write the php conditional statements I guess.

That being said I'm not sure how that would create a related products feature? Please forgive me being so naive but can you explain further?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi Parking,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been a bit busy lately with my own projects. Here's how I've put my related-products feature together as on this sample page: http://etcemall.com/store/products/toucan/

To begin, you'll need a plugin for tabbed content if you want to display Recently Listed and Bestsellers like I have done. I've long been a fan of J-Shortcodes for this; it's simple and it works: http://www.jshortcodes.com/shortcodes/

Next, add the following to a text widget. Title it however you like and change the category name to whichever one you want to display. Repeat this for each category and, using Dynamic Widgets or Widget Logic, target the pages you want them to display on:

<span class="sbcat-widget">
    [jtabs]Recently Listed :: [mp_list_global_products category="artwork" order_by="date" text="none" thumbnail_size="61"]
    [jtab/]Bestsellers ::  [mp_list_global_products category="artwork" order_by="sales" text="none" thumbnail_size="61"]
    [/jtabs]
    </span>

Finally, to get your widgets looking just the one on my sample page, add the following css to the appropriate stylesheet in your active theme/child-theme and tweak to suit your site (note that some of the style rules below specifically target j-shortcode classes):

/*J-Tabs*/
    .ui-tabs .ui-tabs-nav li {
      margin:0 !important;
      }
    .jayq-smoothness .ui-tabs {
      float:left;
      width:99.5%;
      }
    body .jayq-smoothness .ui-widget-header {
      background:transparent;
      border-bottom:1px solid #E3DEDB;
      border-top:none;
      border-left:none;
      border-right:none;
      }
    body .jayq-smoothness .ui-widget-content {
      margin:-1px !important;
      background:#F9F9F9;
      border:1px solid #E3DEDB;
      -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
      -moz-border-radius: 10px;
      border-radius: 10px;
      }
    .jayq-smoothness .ui-tabs .ui-tabs-nav li {
      background:transparent;
      border:1px solid #eee;
      font-size:1.2em;
      }
    .jayq-smoothness .ui-tabs .ui-tabs-nav li.ui-tabs-selected {
      background:#E3DEDB;
      border:none;
      }

/*Sidebar category Widget*/
    .sbcat-widget .mp_product_name, .sbcat-widget div.mp_product_meta {
      display:none;
      }
    .sbcat-widget .product {
      display:inline-block;
      padding:0;
      margin-top:0;
      }
    .sbcat-widget img.alignleft, .sbcat-widget img.alignright, .sbcat-widget img.aligncenter {
      margin:6px 2px -8px;
      padding:2px;
      }
    .sbcat-widget .jayq-smoothness .ui-tabs .ui-tabs-panel {
      padding:0 0 6px;
      }
    .sbcat-widget .jayq-smoothness .ui-tabs .ui-tabs-nav li {
      font-size:11px !important;
      line-height:12px !important;
      }

Have fun and... hope this helps! :o)

• Parking
    • Flash Drive

@pcwriter

Thanks for specifying that got me thinking on the right track. The issue is the products aren't related, they are just bestsellers. I need a way to display related products, and they have to auto-generate based on whats being displayed. I was thinking of tying them together via tags but I just don't know how to execute the php loops to make them display. Also featured products is another want of the clients. Other cart software has a flag state that can be checked in the product to denote it featured. I don't know how to execute that either. If I can get one or the other I can get the client to forget about having both. Seems like the related would be easiest to execute.'

@digitsoft

Any help would be awesome, thanks for helping with this.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Parking

Both of the shortcodes in the above post use category="artwork" to only display products from the Artwork category. Then the order_by parameter determines which ones to display. See all the available shortcode params in your Network Marketpress Settings.

Another way to display related products/posts is with the List Category Posts plugin. Could maybe help you in your quest to satisfy your client:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/list-category-posts/

Hope this helps! :o)

• Parking
    • Flash Drive

@pcwriter

Your right that is an option, although that way I would have to code an mp_product page for each category. So when the client wants to expand their product line they have to contact me for coding the new page. Doesn't seem scalable

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Parking.

I see you mention coding there. If they contact you to code then you could simply make a new theme template page for MarketPress related items. Then when the template is selected have a drop down for selecting categories.

This way they could create any pages they want.

Or you could go further to automate it. Maybe even an extension to MP.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.