Removal of functions.php from child theme

Hi WPMUDEV,
I have a booking site which included a function to add Applicants to a newsletter plugin (MailPoet) whenever they signed up. This suddenly started to show errors so I removed the function [functions.php] from the child folder, to restore the default functionality. Unfortunately the booking plugin is no longer sending confirmation Emails to Applicants, which is the default functionality.

Am I right in thinking that removing functions.php should restore the default behaviour and if so does it suggest there has been a change to the plugin code somewhere other than the functions.php..?

Many Thanks

• Rupok

Hi Paul

Hope you had a wonderful day.

I removed the function [functions.php] from the child folder

Does your functions.php had *only* add Applicants to a newsletter plugin function? Nothing else was there? To restore the default functionality, you need to replace the functions.php file with default functions.php for your child theme.

the booking plugin is no longer sending confirmation Emails to Applicants, which is the default functionality

I think, this function was declared in your child functions.php file too, or this function is dependent on this file.

does it suggest there has been a change to the plugin code somewhere other than the functions.php

It's quite impossible to tell this with given information. I don't even know what was in your child functions.php file. I don't know what plugin you are using. I don't know their coding architecture. But I can suggest you to start from fresh, like installing and activating default WordPress theme and check if the default functionality is back. That will make sure if the issue was related with your theme or not. Can you please do a plugin conflict test just to make sure no other plugin is causing this. To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this article: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hi Paul,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Do you still have this problem?, you'll have to keep the child theme's functions.php in order for it to work.

No new plugins have been added and all the site functionality worked before removing the functions.php file.

There could also be a possibility that some edits made in your child theme is causing this error, or a plugin update. To rule out any plugin/theme conflicts please follow the flowchart in getting support manual.

I you are still not able to figure it out, please make sure to enable support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support , so that I can check?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.