Remove Buddypress Navigation from Header

Hi There,

I’m looking to remove the Buddypress Navigation from the header information in my Buddypress Social Theme (which I love, by the way.) Can you tell me the recommended way that I do that?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@pbarthmaier: You will have to forgive me but this has me very confused:

I think I’m supposed to look for the file:

library/components/buddypress/buddypress-navigation.php

There is no such file in Social. I’ll happily help you but I’m getting really confused here.

If you want to remove the buddypress bits from Social you want to edit navigation.php. You can literally remove all apart from the following in that file:

<?php wp_list_pages( 'title_li=&depth=0&exclude=' . bp_dtheme_page_on_front() ); ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_nav_items' ); ?>

It all depends on how extensive you want to remove the buddypress or also the wpmu and buddypress bits – as in the multi blog and so on….

I’m still confused / wandering about your file you said you were wanting to look in though.

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi Tammie,

Many thanks. And I’m sorry for not understanding enough to be able to even ask the question properly!!! Ok, what I’d like to remove are the links in the blank space to the upper right of the theme, not the nav bar stuff. Essentially, two lines of text links like: Welcome back, admin

* Activity * Profile * Blogs (5) * Messages * Friends (7)

* Groups (14) * Wire (0) * Points * Settings * Log Out

How can I get rid of them? And you can forget the part about child theme, if that doesn’t make any sense. I was thinking that a change that I make to the parent them php would be overwritten in an update, but perhaps that’s restricted to CSS. As I said, I’m a novice. Thanks again.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@pbarthmaier: no problems at all you just confused me that is all :slight_smile:

Ah you want to remove the core buddypress links… that is not an easy task you won’t be able to do this as part of a child theme either or at least not easy. I would highly suggest unless you do know coding you do not do this but to be clear before I suggest or don’t can you provide a link to the page you want to change on a live site so we’re talking real life examples – often less confusion occurs then.

We ‘may’ be able to do a css hide but again I think you are on about core buddypress bits and a little puzzle why you would in fact…. I think we’re at the link point so if you can provide one I can look and respond.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@pbarthmaier: Just to clarify what are you trying to achieve to remove the navigation: bit you show in the screenshot OR to remove the other listing of buddypress navigation you said in the post before:

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Well, in the screen shot there is just gray space, not the words/links:

It would be nice if the navigation were only done with the tabs that are showing in the jpg and the drop down stuff inherent to buddypress. But the gray area would just be gray space, no links.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.