Remove dash from Twitter Widget Title

I am trying to remove the dash from Twitter Widget title which seems to be added automatically. Whatever I change the title to, it adds a dash such as this:
Title -
or
this:
Twitter -

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Simply Music

• Paul Barthmaier

Hi there and welcome to the WPMUdev Support Forums!

This looks to me to require digging through some php code to find the hyphen in question! I'll have to take a closer look, but my guess is that there's a widget file in there that has it. If I find an easier way, I'll let you know.

If you find you just can't live with that darn hyphen and aren't comfortable digging through code, you could hire a developer either on

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

or

https://www.tweaky.com/

Then again, maybe you give it some time. It could just grow on ya!

Cheers,
    Paul

• Paul Barthmaier

Hey there,

DId it look like I was correcting your English usage there? I apologize for that. I didn't mean anything by it. I'm not sure why it's bolded or italized. Perhaps I was expressing my preference for warm weather and yummy food. I mean, preferring the greek etymology of hyphen to that of the Anglo Saxon dash!

Well, now that I've blathered on about that for far too long, back to your question. It would seem like a simple thing, but in this case it comes down to editing a php file and that can be somewhat hazardous! And further, this should be done in a child theme, but that makes it even more complicated.

So I can tell you where the hyphen is, and you can make sure that you have a back up of your Parent theme. You can edit this file, but you need to know that when this theme gets another update, the changes you're going to make will be gone. If you look in this folder:

/public_html/wp-content/themes/blogs-mu/_inc/functions

you'll see a file called widgets-functions.php. Open in an editor, I use Notepad++, or you could do it thru cPanel, or the like. When I open this file, the hyphen is on line 145. Line 145 begins with

echo $before_title . $twitter_title . ' - <a style="font-weight: normal;

That's the hyphen there in the middle. I didn't give you the whole line, of course, but you can take out the dash and a space!

And you'll have your back up if anything goes wrong, right?

• simplymusic

Hi Pali,
    I just really enjoy bolding words sometimes. Thanks for the tip; we are using a child theme.

I tried placing a copy of widgets-functions.php in the child theme folder, but for some reason, it didn't work.. So I went ahead and made the edit in the _inc/functions folder. I will make a note for future reference when we update the theme.

I that line of code is on line 73 in my version of Blogs MU, not sure why.. I think we are working with the latest version.

I am using Komodo, but thanks - I will check out Notepad++

Cheers and thanks for the assistance,

Steven

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.