Remove or edit author for posts

I have MultiSites. I import content from RSS feeds and write my own posts. So, I am not the author of all posts and I do not want my name listed as such.. I need to change "by toni" or just eliminate it site-wide. I am the only author on my all sites.

On the site with imported RSS content to post I added messages to the sidebar, before and after the content of each post, to make it clear: I import content without permission for my own use and please share/comment on original source site - not mine. I link to and credit the source. But "by toni" is still incorrect.

I am not WP tech literate or a coder - but I can follow detailed instructions.

Thank you

• Huberson
    • Recruit

Hello,
    There are a few ways you might be able to achieve that:
    1. The easy way to do that would be to use a plugin like Change Author and add a default user that those post will be assigned to.

2. Use Autoblog to grab the feeds and post them on your page. Autoblog provides an option when creating a new feed to set the author for the imported posts, and you can enable "Replace Author Information" add-on to have more control on the author details.

The third option will allow you to remove the author meta entirely but it requires editing your active theme template files. With the Twenty Seventeen theme, that line is inside "twentyseventeen_posted_on()" function under template-tags.php files, but since each theme are structured different yours will not be the same.
    If you want to go with that option:
    - install Show Current Template and open one of the post, the plugin will show all files in the theme used to render the post on the top admin area.
    - In you theme folder search the files listed by the plugin for "$byline" or "get_the_author"

and remove or edit the line as needed. In the below example I replaced the dynamic author name with simply "Author"

Regards,
    Huberson

• Toni Hoskin
      • Recruit

Stellar! I appreciate the different levels of the possible solutions. I'm going for the first plugin for this site. Thank you especially for the manual option, making it so clear. I'm eagerly working towards the backend of WP but it's tricky to find small things to do when you know so little. It will be useful and is informative - with a cool plugin too! Your solutions will be a post on that (my) site: WP Struggles - how to build, destroy, and fix WP, where I collect WP info and document my experiences when I've got time all for future reference. As will other solutions I've gotten/will get here.

Consider this resolved! :grinning:
      Cheers!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.