Remove Widgets in Multi-Site

I looked in the forums and google but did not see any current discussion on how to selectively remove certain widgets from multi-site blogs.

I prefer not to install a bulky, multi-featured plugin to accomplish this one task.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

If you would rather not install a plugin to handle it then the other options which I actually prefer sometimes is to remove code from WordPress direct. Then it never gets added in the first place and thus is quicker.

You would need to maintain a change log which you'll have to do on every update. I have this for my own installs where I'd much rather avoid installing plugins to undo something.

If you're wanting some pointers on this then you'll need to let me know which widgets you'd rather not be there or alternatively use a plugin.

Take care.

• buddha
    • Syntax Hero

Unfortunately, the plugin does not work for me and created some other conflicts. It is over 400 days old, so not surprising. Fortunately, I had cleaned up my database over the last week and Vaultpress was able to do an easy restore.

It is too bad, because the need for this widget is obvious. There are too many unused and unnecessary widgets clogging websites, and they only serve to confuse and distract multi-site users who only want simplicity and ease of use. Which is why I like the idea behind WPMU's Easy Blogging plugin.

If you have time to help me remove the following widgets I would greatly appreciate it:

bbPress Forums List
    bbPress Login Widget
    bbPress Recent Replies
    bbPress Topic Views List
    Akismet Widget
    Archives
    Calendar
    Facebook Activity Feed
    Facebook Connect
    Facebook Facepile
    Facebook Recent Comments
    Global Product Tag Cloud
    Login Radius
    Login Radius Share
    Members
    Meta
    NorthVantage Contact Form
    NorthVantage Widget Galleery
    Pages
    Product Tag Cloud
    Recent Comments
    Recently Active Member Avatars
    RSS
    Search
    Splog Statistics
    Tag Cloud
    Who's Online Avatars

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

If you check out the article I linked to it goes through how to deactivate widgets like:

function unregister_default_widgets() {
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Pages');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Calendar');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Archives');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Links');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Meta');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Search');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Text');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Categories');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Recent_Posts');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Recent_Comments');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_RSS');
         unregister_widget('WP_Widget_Tag_Cloud');
         unregister_widget('WP_Nav_Menu_Widget');
         unregister_widget('Twenty_Eleven_Ephemera_Widget');
     }
     add_action('widgets_init', 'unregister_default_widgets', 11);

You just need to find the original ones:

register_widget();

You can then just unregister them.

Take care.

• shawng
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I just read the code for the restrict widgets plugin and frankly I don't see anything that needs to be changed. It's almost brilliant in its simplicity and works perfectly so not sure what the complaint was.

I had no problem at all in removing specific plugins from network sites including many on your list that you want to be removed.

In the end, the plugin is simply nothing more than a 'wrapper' for the function that @Timothy is suggesting.

It might be worth giving it another try. Just because something is old doesn't necessarily mean its broken.

• shawng

Actually, now that I think about it, there might be a little room for improvement and maybe wpmu might consider it.

Would be nice to extend the plugin to only allow 'pro-sites' to use certain widgets, hiding them from non-pro sites.

Taking it to the 'ultimate' step, you could even have multi-tiered groups of allowed wigets on a per group basis for pro-sites or membership......

• shawng

You keep mentioning a conflict, but don't say what the conflict is. Might help with that info.

Either way, I've nothing to gain by pushing a plugin I knew nothing about before yesterday. I just know that for my site it seems to work great.

*I know what 'might' be confusing you.....

If you are the network admin then you will always see the widgets, even when using this plugin. Regular site admins will only see the widgets you allow them to see with the plugin. So maybe try to login with a regular account, after setting the plugin up to only show what you want, and see if that works.

I actually found that feature to be a huge benefit for me as I wanted to have the ability to add widgets to my own sub-sites that no one else could use and needed a nice gui

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.