Remove WPMUDEV Dashboard Account Info

Hi,

I just installed smush it pro on a client site and it didn't worked until I entered my account details in wpmudev dashboard.

I noticed my client can install any plugin he wants, see my recent activities and other stuff... I don't want him to do any such thing.

Could you please tell me how can I only use api key and not my account info to make smush it / other plugins work without entering my account details to avoid any of the issues mentioned above?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @monetizer,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Will it work for you if you hide WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin settings totally on your client's site by adding the following code in the wp-config.php file:

Place these just above the following line:
    /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
    define(‘WPMUDEV_HIDE_BRANDING’, true);

Find more information about it on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/#usage

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Monetizer,

The code Vinod gave you above, is just used to hide the WPMU DEV branding messages when you don't have the dashboard plugin installed, I think Vinod may have just misunderstood your request.

Unfortunately, with the smushit plugin, it requires the dashboard to be installed and setup as it will use the API from your account.

Usually the Dashboard plugin is only visible to the admin user that installed the plugin, if you are both sharing that same account, this is why.

You could create a second admin account, just for yourself, then deactivate the dashboard plugin using the other account. Once done, you can then log in to your new admin account & then activate the dashboard plugin.

You can add the following to wp-config.php, this will essentially allow the dashboard plugin to be used only by the accounts (user id) listed in the define.

define( 'WPMUDEV_LIMIT_TO_USER', '1' );

In the case above, this will limit the dashboard plugin to the user with the user_id of 1

You can add multiple users by seperating each user id with a comma.

Hope this helps

• monetizer
    • Flash Drive

Hi Vaughan,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Its not my site, and I won't able to create another admin account.

It is pointless to add my login details to WPMUDEV plugin in the first place.

Secondly, there should be an option to hide all my details from WPMUDEV dashboard and only keep it for the API key.

This is really disappointing that there is no simple way to hide my details on the sites I install your plugins. Purchasing developers license doesn't mean I want anyone to see my last activities and what I have downloaded and what my reputation is...

I can finally throw the smash it plugin out as there is no point to have my client access all the plugins / themes that I have paid for and could follow my activities... ridiculous.

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi,

I just spoke with the developer, and he says, you only need to login to the dashboard, it then creates a meta option in the DB. So once you have done this once, you can actually deactivate the dashboard plugin & smushit will still work as it just checks for that option with the api key in the DB.

Not sure if this is feasible option for you?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Just to explain the background to this a bit. Smush Pro is an API service, like Anti-Splog or our Video Tutorials. It send the files to our servers where we smush them and send them back. As such it requires and API key and a valid ongoing membership to work.

Additionally when you are working with client sites it's still highly recommended to have the dashboard plugin installed. Plugins are not just install and forget, they require ongoing updates for security and compatibility. That is why we built the recommended methods above to limit the dashboard view and access to just your user.

• monetizer
      • Flash Drive

Hi Aaron,

I don't have any issues in keeping the plugin activated for updated.

But I do have issues in having my details being shown on the dashboard and rights to clients to install anything.

Why don't you have a better option to disable such features on WPMU plugin specially for developers license holders?

Thanks

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Monetizer,

There are other options also like following if you want to implement it.

1) We can develop a custom code that will hide the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin settings and all its User Interface Making it inaccessible but will work in the background.

2) As it's not your site but your clients site then you can try using our following free version of WP Smush.it plugin which doesn't use our server to smush images but uses Yahoo server to process it so it doesn't require WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin installed.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-smushit/

Keep in mind the above plugin provides limited smushing functionality compared to our smush it pro plugin.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• monetizer
      • Flash Drive

Hi Vinod,

Thank you for contacting me again.

Having such code would help me to install dashboard in any and all of my clients, so they could get updates and my info is also safe, along with they won't be able to install anything.

If you can get the custom code, I think it would be useful to a lot of users. How can I get it?

How can I add a suggestion to add a feature to dashboard plugin (may be for dev license only) to hide it completely from site / disable options to install or to view profile / license details.

I assume its not that much difficult to do, but provide if you consider it worth adding.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Monetizer,

How can I add a suggestion to add a feature to dashboard plugin (may be for dev license only) to hide it completely from site / disable options to install or to view profile / license details.

If you could open a new thread, selecting the features & feedback category for the dashboard plugin, and give as much details on the feature request as possible, like how you propose it to actually work, and describe what you want to happen etc. We can put this to the developers to consider in a future update. It certainly sounds like a valid request :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.