Removing BP Daily sidebar search

Tammie,

In another thread that I cannot find, you gave the following instructions to remove the sidebar search:

3. To remove the buddypress search go into sidebar.php and remove (line 61-69):

<div class="light-container">
<form action="<?php echo bp_search_form_action() ?>" method="post" id="search-form">
<input type="text" id="search-terms" name="search-terms" value="" size="18"/>
<?php echo bp_search_form_type_select() ?>

<input type="submit" name="search-submit" id="search-submit" value="<?php _e( 'Search', 'buddypress' ) ?>"/>
<?php wp_nonce_field( 'bp_search_form' ) ?>
</form><!-- #search-form -->
</div>

also remove the same chunk of code in sidebars/bp-sidebar-blog.php, bp-sidebar-home.php and bp-sidebar-page.php.

----------------------------
The attached file shows what happened when I followed these instructions. I got my php comment delimiters around the search box rather than removing the search box.I checked that I put the delimiters outside the <div> sections.

As you can see, three search boxes on one page is too many. One or two must go.

I am using BP Daily's default.css. It would be nice if these changes could be done in the settings.

1. Would you tell me where I made my mistake with my edits?

2. Also, would you tell me how I can remove the row with the date/time. I like the date/time but I wish I could put it where it does not take a whole row.

Thanks,

Ed

• Tammie

@exberry: Those are 2 different searches so it is valid they are both there - one is post / pages and one is for community search - if you see the drop down. Currently there are no plans to change using those different searches however here are the steps to remove (you need to remove it from all sidebars).

1. library/sidebars/bp-sidebar-home.php (we're removing from the home first)

Line 58 remove from line 59 - 67:

<div class="light-container">
    <form action="<?php echo bp_search_form_action() ?>" method="post" id="search-form">
    <input type="text" id="search-terms" name="search-terms" value="" size="18"/>
    <?php echo bp_search_form_type_select() ?>

<input type="submit" name="search-submit" id="search-submit" value="<?php _e( 'Search', 'buddypress' ) ?>"/>
    <?php wp_nonce_field( 'bp_search_form' ) ?>
    </form><!-- #search-form -->
    </div>

2. You will have to find the same block and remove in each bp- sidebar (all buddypress sidebars have bp- before them.

To remove the date and time you can either remove just that by in library/components/information-bar.php removing line 6:

<?php serverdate(); ?>

OR

To remove that complete bar including the site message and also the date and time you'd in header.php remove line 151:

<?php locate_template( array( '/library/components/information-bar.php' ), true ); ?>

• exberry

Thank you, Tammie.

Since the three search boxes are different as you describe, then I don't mind leaving them there. In that case, I will seek a way to explain their difference to their users.

Would it be accurate if I set the following default text into the 3 search boxes as follows?

Breadcrumb box: "Search site"
    Group header: "Search groups"
    Sidebar search: "Search Communities"

Also, I am thinking of putting the date/time into the breadcrumb row just before the search box. Do you think this will work OK?

Thanks,

Ed

• exberry

Tammy,

Thank you for your help.

First, To make the several search boxes more understandable, I changed the the breadcrumb search button text from "search" to "search blogs" in /library/components/searchform.php. This works fine.

Would you confirm that this breadcrumb search indeed searches blogs, and not forums or anything else?

Second, I would like to change the button text of the search on the Groups bar to "Search Groups"

Would you please tell me where I can find the code for this groups search box?

Third, would you please tell me the file that includes the text on the right hand side of the date/time information bar? I am considering locating the present sidebar search in place of the text I do not need in this location.

Thanks,

Ed

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.