Removing default widgets

When I add a widget to the sidebar in Gridpress, the default ones still appear. In other themes, the defaults disappear. Is this the intended function?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

This is an intentional part of the design for the MarketPress functionality in GridMarket. However, in updates later I will see about changing this. It's only the MarketPress specific functions that will show though not default WordPress widgets when something is added to the sidebar widget area.

I will note people haven't quite got it right these are not widgets these are hard coded functions in the theme designed to make your site have 'shop' functions. The default widgets - meta and login and so on - they all vanish on adding a new widget.

There are no updates planned to change this however as of yet it would come in a later update if we change it.

• Jack
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for the feedback Tammie. I'm using the theme for a site that has a small store not a site that is just a store. Because of this, I don't want the store function on every page. All of items in the sidebar are available as widgets, so why force me to use them? I think it would be best to remove the defaults when a new widget is added. I know how to change it on my own so I'll just do that. Thanks for a great Marketpress theme.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

As they aren't widgets it does sort of make sense having them there but if anything a switch to show or not may be added. Doesn't really make sense having a widget on / off control a non widget area :slight_smile:

Glad you like the theme we're really pleased at how everyone is enjoying this one.

• Jack
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

They may not be widgets, but the theme provides widgets with the same functionality. You don't need any kind of switch. I just place a conditional on them like many themes have. When widgets are added to the sidebar the defaults vanish. Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.