Removing "hidden" Admin users from sites

I've got a strange issue and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me locate a way to solve it.

A while back (it's not happening anymore) when a super admin on our network would visit a site, they would somehow automatically get added to the user list. But it's causing us problems now.

1) the My Sites drop down (in the admin bar) is enormous (Super Admins have access to hundreds of sites so the drop down goes off the screen at the bottom)

2) When we go to the users list on a particular site, the Super Admins are not listed, thus can't be removed. They are acknowledged though as you will see in this screen shot, notice that USERS > ALL says there are 4 users, but the list only shows 2. The two "hidden" users are the super admins.

I'm looking for a way to remove access to these sites that we do not want in our "My Sites" list and I can't figure out how to solve that. I'm guessing it's in the database, but I don't even know where to look... any suggestions?

Here's the screen shot of the weirdness.

http://screencast.com/t/oEJuEmAfde9

Thanks everyone -

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post

to remove users from sites got network dashboard

click sites, then on the all sites page, click edit (hover over the site path)

on the edit screen, click users tab.

then hover over the user & click remove.

as for the admin bar my sites

click My sites link (the words themselves), it takes you to a page that lists all your sites. Which is still easier than having to bookmark the admin screen for all your sites individually. One extra step than a drop down, but still.

you could also use the custom admin bar plugin to create a menu linking to the sites page in network admin. it'll not have the sites drop down then. it'll just be a link to the sites page.

then you can remove the my sites menu item. see http://churchm.ag/remove-menu-items-from-wordpress-3-3-admin-bar/

the menu items to use in the code on the how-to link above are

my-account / my-account-with-avatar : the first link, to your account. Note that the ID here changes depending on if you have Avatars enabled or not.

my-blogs : the ‘My Sites’ menu if the user has more than one site
    get-shortlink : provides a Shortlink to that page
    edit : link to Edit [content-type]
    new-content : the ‘Add New’ dropdown
    comments : the ‘Comments’ dropdown
    appearance : the ‘Appearance’ dropdown
    updates : the ‘Updates’ dropdown

hope this helps.

thanks

• skishopmatt

Hi @Vaughan -

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I'm referring to and where the problem is. If you look at my screen shot (here's another from the exact page you're referring to: http://screencast.com/t/5EXqsOw5l5A ) you will see that there are only two users listed yet up above under the ALL it lists that there are 4 users. "All" is highlighted, thus showing all users, but only two appear. The super admins are not listed, and can't be removed. This is why our "My Sites" menu is so long. I'm not trying to remove the menu, just get it back to listing only the sites that we actually want acces to.

Does that make sense? I'm guessing this is a database issue, but I just don't know where to look.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.