Removing Image Titles/captions from Images Media Gallery

Hi Everyone! Thank you for reading my post. I was wondering if I could be directed or helped with a solution regarding removing/disabling image titles/captions in the media gallery.

I have uploaded hundreds of images to go into separate galleries for a site of mine, merenguebakery.com

The issue im having is the exif data is being converted to the file name so the gallery has a caption of the image title.

It just looks bad. I could manually go into the media gallery and delete each one but that will take forever and I was hoping there is a simple plugin on wpmdev I could use or another solution.

Thanks, have a good one!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Machinedigital,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a look at your site and I think what you'll want to do here would be to "bulk-update" image title so as a result a title inside an "on mouse over" tooltip and under an image in a lightbox view would be updated.

I think you may want to take a look at this plugin then:

https://pl.wordpress.org/plugins/seo-image/

It should help you set automatic alt and title attributes for your images and this should as a result fix that issue.

Let me know if it worked for you please!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Machinedigital!

My idea here was that because of the fact that the only two "visible titles" for these images come from alt/title tags (the default browser's tooltip and the title under the picture in lightbox view), the plugin should let you set both tags to "empty" (or a "blank" or a series of spaces) and that should in fact remove that titles.

There's however another plugin that may be of help here. The Media Library Assistant should help you quickly "bulk edit" images and therefore update captions/titles much quicker you'd to manually. Take a look here please:

https://pl.wordpress.org/plugins/media-library-assistant/

Alternatively, this could be done with a PHP script that would connect to your WP database and then:
    - search "wp_posts" table for all posts with a "post_type" field value of "attachment"
    - (optionally) filter result against "post_mime_type" in order to affect images only (e.g. "image/png", "image/jpg", "image/jpeg" etc)
    - update value of "post_title" for each

This should also run through "wp_postmeta" table and take care of associations. Such a script would have to be custom developed though and it would be a bit outside the scope of this forum so you may want to post a question about it on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff members involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

That said, please let me know if Media Library Assistant would be of help for you!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Machinedigital!

I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I've search for other WP plugins that could help you with this but unless I'm missing something obvious here - it seems that the custom developed script or (unfortunately) the daunting manual work are the only ways to go here.

I think however you may also want to post the question in "Members" area on our forum. It's quite possible that some members of our community will get some brilliant ideas on this that we're both missing here. I cannot guarantee anything but it surely is worth a try :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.