Removing the BP Community menu in main navigation

I would like to remove the default community menu with the buddypress components in it that appears in the main navbar. If I use a custom menu it sticks itself in the first position and is not manageable. Removing it will allow me to recreate a Community menu with other links in it that would serve my users better.

Please do not just tell me to comment out some code somewhere as I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Give me the idiot version with picture is possible as yes, I am an idiot and not a php guru.

Thanks for your help!

DavidM

Hi Rick,

In the Network theme folder, there's a file that contains all that menu code:
    network/library/components/buddypress/buddypress-navigation-topnav.php

You can simply delete everything in that file and it will remove that menu. Alternatively, though more ill-advised, you could simply delete that file.

It goes without saying that the best way to accomplish such a change, though, is using a child theme and the online manuals cover that quite nicely. They also cover using FTP as well, which would be the optimal way to get this customization done.

Let us know how that goes!

Cheers,
    David

Mason

Hiya Rick!

I'd love to help you out here!

Please do not just tell me to comment out some code somewhere as I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Whoops. That does throw a wrench in things. There's a limited number of options available to us here:
    1. Edit the code (yep, we'll have to comment some lines out - or use a child theme where we can really tweak the code, but this is also editing)
    2. Have someone do it for ya. I'd recommend posting up a job request here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/new-project/

We'll gladly support any issue you have and help you get things working the way they are supposed to - for custom work it's pretty much get your 'hands dirty' or hire someone to do it for ya

Now, all that being said, let me provide a few instructions in case you'd like to do it yourself. I'm assuming you'll want to download updates for this theme in the future - so let's go the child theme route. If you're unfamiliar with child themes, please watch this video tutorial here:
    http://buddydress.com/2010/05/parent-and-child-themes-explored/

Now, you'll want to activate your network child theme.
    In the child theme create the following directory structure (I'm starting at wp-content for clarity)
    wp-content/themes/network-child/library/components/buddypress/

Into the directory you created above, copy the buddypress-navigation-topnav.php file from the same directory in the parent theme.

Now, activate the child theme and make sure everything looks exactly the same.

Good?

Good. Now, open the buddypress-navigation-topnav.php in the child theme and delete all of it's contents and replace them with this:

<ul id="buddypress-top-menu" class="sf-menu">
    	<?php
    	if (bp_is_page( BP_ACTIVITY_SLUG ) || bp_is_page( BP_MEMBERS_SLUG ) || bp_is_page( BP_GROUPS_SLUG ) || bp_is_page( BP_FORUMS_SLUG )) {
    	?>
    	<li class="buddypress-menu-dropdown current">
    	<?php } else { ?>
    	<li class="buddypress-menu-dropdown">
    	<?php } ?>
    		<?php do_action( 'bp_nav_items' ); ?>
    	</li>
    </ul>

Save the new file. Refresh your browser.

All should be good - navigation without the community dropdown.

Thanks!

Rick Lewis

Hey guys. I apologize for how I worded my post. I am surely ready to dive into things and do the work. I just sometimes need a little bit more detail then go to this file and remove these four words.

Having been an IT manager and running a help desk with 200 plus users I know how sometimes I would give the quick response assuming they knew the where , how and why they were doing what they were doing.

that said, you guys usually always give nice detailed responses so I probably could have just left that out. Again, sorry for any confusion.

One note on posting for jobs, I have done that a couple of times and accept for the most recent time I hadn't gotten much reply. I think the vbulletin conversion to bbpress scared the pants off of everyone. I am here to tell you that I have done that now 3 times to include just last night on the current new site. I do have some issues to clean up but it's all there now in bbpress - forums, posts, users, etc..

Back to this issue, I should have mentioned that yes, I am using a child theme as the designer of that theme (Tammie) actually helped me with some design work on it. She did also help me with a bunch of other little things here and there which were above and beyond the normal items which was great.

As you guys may notice, sometimes I post on here an issue and end up working it out as I get a reply. Or, just posting gets a reply that was like right there and I knew it but couldn't see it.

That to me is one of the coolest things about this site and brought me here for the long term. I will review the two posts above and get this thing worked out. I will try and remember to reply here and mark as resolved one I that is done.

thanks for your help!!

Rick Lewis

@mason - used your version and replaced the code and the menu went bye bye. One of the links though for BP Achievements remained now in it's place. I came here first as I didn't recall a setting to turn off the link but I am going to review those settings after this post.

I wanted to ask if by chance somewhere in the code you had me use was something which allowed that to come though and show up? Versus Davids - Delete everything option.

It was previously embedded in the community menu which is why I am curious.

Going to investigate to see if I can just turn it off in settings. Will let you know here in a moment.

Mason

Hiya Rick,

that said, you guys usually always give nice detailed responses so I probably could have just left that out. Again, sorry for any confusion.

No worries.

used your version and replaced the code and the menu went bye bye. One of the links though for BP Achievements remained now in it's place.

Gotta link? I did a quick test and the code I used work. Have you created a custom menu nav?

Using David's method should also be fine. Even if you create the new file in your child theme - and make it an 'empty' file it should work. Again, if we can get a link we can take a look and see what's going on.

Thanks!

Rick Lewis

link -- crosseyedgaming.com

yes I do have a custom menu but that achievement thing isn't in it. Seems to be stuck in the first position and I would love to get rid of it and put it into the new community menu I created.

The menu system isn't one of the better features on some of these themes.

If I could take the fun theme, network theme, social theme and blog mu theme and merge different parts I would have the greatest theme on earth.

Remember, that achievements is a plug in so that link is being shot into their because of that but I assumed it was part of the other links as it was in that default community menu.

No setting in the plug in area to remove it which it should be in my opinion. I know vbulletin plugins use to force their way into your navigation as well. Some you could check them off and others well, you had to cut the code from the file itself.

Rick Lewis

Ok so I went back to the beginning to make sure I had the directory structure and correct file and so on. I deleted my copy and put yours in and the link was still there.

I noticed you mentioned deactivating the plug in which of course would kill that link but it also kills the plug in which I wanted to use.

So, for the sake of just giving David's delete it altogether advice a try I did just that. No more link.

I am guessing that somewhere in the plug in files it reference something in that file which tells it to put the link in the navbar. Remove that info and no more link. Why it would be that difficult to get a link moved is just mind boggling to me. It's a nice plug in and my users area already trying to better each other to get more points for doing stuff.

At the end of the day, things are working as I want them. I just hope it isn't at the expense of creating some other issue down the road.

Thanks for all the help. I will mark this as resolved.