Renaming plugins folder to troubleshoot problems

I am troubleshooting Ninja Forms problem with advise from them. They asked me to "Can you test this with a default WordPress theme & with other plugins disabled?"

That's fine and good but last time I had to disable all plugins (a problem I had here not with Ninja ok?) the Snapshot plugin seems not to cooperate as it appears to have created it's own directory outside my renamed plugins folder.

I found out later when I tried to restore from a previous backup cause I was not granted the permission to execute the restore.

My solution was to copy the snapshot plugin back into the plugins folder (not the one I renamed) then delete the old one in the renamed plugin folder. It was only then that the snapshot plugin began again to operate normally.

Please advise me before I proceed if it's ok to rename the plugins folder and of course where all plugins currently reside including the snapshot and that this won't cause me any problems. I cannot risk losing my snapshots.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm nut sure why did this happen before but Snapshot Pro does not install itself outside the "/plugins" folder. It works (installs and activates/deactivates) the same way any other plugin does.

it does create a "folder outside the plugins folder" and that's the "snapshots" folder inside "/wp-content/uploads". That's however just a "data" folder and it should remain untouched after renaming "/plugins" folder or a Snapshot plugin install folder (inside "/plugins" folder).

The bottom line is: yes, you can safely rename your plugins folder and once you rename it back the Snapshot plugin should still be there, ready to be enabled. After being enabled it would pick up all the settings and existing data back.

I hope that helps!
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave!

I read somewhere that when those plugins are disabled it's best to stay out of Wordpress plugins folder otherwise it can affect your database.

I'm not quite sure what would that mean, I must admit. A good practice after you rename plugins folder is not to install new plugins or try to reinstall those switched off again. The "proper course of actions" should be:

- rename "/plugins" folder (e.g. to "plugins-off")
    - access WP dashboard as an admin (this will automatically disable all the plugins, in case the site wasn't visited meanwhile)
    - rename "plugins-off" folder back to "plugins" (plugins will stay disabled!)
    - go to "Plugins -> All plugins" page and enable plugins one-by-one each time checking whether the main issue still occurs or not.

Troubleshooting conducted that way shouldn't affect the database. However, it is always advised to take a full backup of the site prior to this, just in case anything went wrong.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.