Render blocking resources from cache?

I'm rebuilding my site and trying, as best as possible, to keep the load "humming" as I work on it. I ran a Hummingbird and got 93/100 with only 6 in Remove render blocking resources.

I tracked the files that Hummingbird listed and the CSS are in the cache. But isn't cache supposed to help load faster? Why would is be render blocking? Is there any way I can help this issue?

I couldn't locate the JS. The file listed (uploads/2017/04) is actually empty. ???

The site is loading fairly well right now, but I want to do as much as possible during the build to have things run fast, and smoothly, when I'm done. I'd appreciate any insight into this. I've opened the site to support. Thanks.

• James Morris

Hello Enduring Epilepsy (Katrina),

I hope you are well today.

First, you may want to give the following article a look. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/100-score-google-pagespeed-insights-not-happening/

This article also applies to Hummingbird as it works very similarly to Google PageSpeed.

Your current score of 93/100 is excellent. Anything over 90 is very good. The reason you're seeing these few references is because some plugins and theme functions simply will not work correctly unless their files are called from wp_head. So, it's inevitable you're going to have some scripts in the head of your site. Hummingbird would give a notice even if there is just 1 script being called from the wp_head.

The cache files will perform faster than the original files because of the minimization and combining of the files.

To clear your cache, just go to Admin -> Hummingbird -> Minification -> Click the Re-Check Files button. This will rebuild your cache. You can also enable the option
    Store my files on the WPMU DEV CDN which may further increase the performance of your site.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.