Renew Subscriptions - Buttons and price missing

On Renew Subscriptions page (which just has the shortcode) the buttons and price missing - so you can't renew or upgrade.

Please advise how to fix.

Thanks.

• Karen

Jack

I have Paypal Standard (only) active. I used to have two but after last advice removed one of them as I had two.

Comments about Membership Definitions

The definitions need to be clearer.

Because the Period and Price don't change regardless of what is in the dropdown list - it isn't clear how the Indefinite/Finite/Serial work. eg How can something be "Indefinite" yet you can fill in 1 month below. Shouldn't that Period field disappear if you select "Indefinite"??? (Again, an area of confusion to the user of the plugin.)

"Serial" should have a "per xxxx" with it. or "renews every x days/weeks/months)"

Indefinite - is the ONE payment and you are on that level forever? ("User remains at this level for ever.")

I would also change the order so Indefinite is first, Finite second and Serial third - for logic.

How do you set it up for monthly (serial) payment for a defined period (eg a year)? Is that possible? That would be a years subscription, paid monthly which would have to be a common set-up.?

"Serial" - could the definition within the membership plug in be changed to the one above? That is far clearer than the current "Serial - user remains at this level for a set period of time and is then renewed at the same level." which is NOT clear. Try "Serial subscriptions are automatically renewed each X days/weeks/months/years." For monthly payments I would not have picked "Serial" as it was unclear .

It is also unclear how long the serial payment goes for - so it could in fact be "indefinite" - ie what's the difference between "Indefinite / 1 month / $10" and "Serial /1 month / $10"? (As noted above, you should not be able to pick both "indefinite" and a period. That doesn't make sense.)

Another (strong) suggestion is to put an Eg in such as "Eg Use this for monthly subscription payments. " to make it far clearer. FYI.

Try "Serial subscriptions are automatically renewed each X days/weeks/months/years."

Membership set-ups.

FREE Membership - indefinite - 365 days.

Media 102 - Writing an Effective Media Release - finite - 100 days access (this subscription is to test using a membership as a course where modules are released one after the other).

Networking Opportunities - Now set up as Serial - 1 month - $10 per month (I presume this is set up correctly to charge $10 per month for as long as they are signed up? Please confirm or advise how to do it. Before reading your note above "indefinite" looked right to me. )

On Renew Subscriptions, Free Membership and Networking is showing up for me as an upgrade option, but NO button is showing (and I am NOT currently signed up to it). The buttons should be showing for both so I can select them.

Over to you.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Hope you're well today.

Because the Period and Price don't change regardless of what is in the dropdown list - it isn't clear how the Indefinite/Finite/Serial work. eg How can something be "Indefinite" yet you can fill in 1 month below. Shouldn't that Period field disappear if you select "Indefinite"??? (Again, an area of confusion to the user of the plugin.)

Currently with the PayPal API and how this is coded, a subscription term must be set on indefinite plans. Otherwise PayPal will return an error.

We're actually looking into this, to make the whole subscription process easier to understand and use.

Serial, is recurring.

Finite, is for a set amount of time and then ends.

Indefinite, is as it says :slight_smile:

When setting the length of any subscription, if you're setting a subscription for say a year, that should be a year and not set as 365 days for example.

How do you set it up for monthly (serial) payment for a defined period (eg a year)? Is that possible? That would be a years subscription, paid monthly which would have to be a common set-up.?

Currently not possible I'm afraid. It would have to be set as serial, 1 month, but they could cancel any time, or serial 1 year, but that would be for the 1 years payment upfront, this is also something we're looking at.

It is also unclear how long the serial payment goes for - so it could in fact be "indefinite" - ie what's the difference between "Indefinite / 1 month / $10" and "Serial /1 month / $10"? (As noted above, you should not be able to pick both "indefinite" and a period. That doesn't make sense.)

Explained above :slight_smile: We're working on a new User experience for Membership and a heap of other changes.

Networking Opportunities - Now set up as Serial - 1 month - $10 per month (I presume this is set up correctly to charge $10 per month for as long as they are signed up? Please confirm or advise how to do it. Before reading your note above "indefinite" looked right to me. )

Correct, serial, 1 month, $10, will charge them $10 per month until they cancel.

On Renew Subscriptions, Free Membership and Networking is showing up for me as an upgrade option, but NO button is showing (and I am NOT currently signed up to it). The buttons should be showing for both so I can select them.

Is any subscription assigned to the user at all? A user can't upgrade from that page unless they have a current subscriptions, if they don't they should be using the register page :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

This last one got fixed (I think by PC fixing something else)

Is any subscription assigned to the user at all? A user can't upgrade from that page unless they have a current subscriptions, if they don't they should be using the register page :slight_smile:

Not sure which one it was as I have so much in the pipeline at present. Whatever it was fixed both the buttons AND the formatting issue. He can probably advise quicker than I can find it. Sorry.

• Karen

Jack

OOps Just one question:

Currently with the PayPal API and how this is coded, a subscription term must be set on indefinite plans. Otherwise PayPal will return an error.

We're actually looking into this, to make the whole subscription process easier to understand and use.

Serial, is recurring.

Finite, is for a set amount of time and then ends.

Indefinite, is as it says :slight_smile:

When setting the length of any subscription, if you're setting a subscription for say a year, that should be a year and not set as 365 days for example.

if it has to be indefinite for paypal to process does that mean Paypal DOESN'T process anything else (ie serial, or finite)? Otherwise if you choose Serial or FInite, noone will get charged it seems? is that right?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi Karen,

Hope you're well today,

Not sure which one it was as I have so much in the pipeline at present. Whatever it was fixed both the buttons AND the formatting issue. He can probably advise quicker than I can find it. Sorry.

No problem, just glad it's fixed :slight_smile: PC's away at the moment.

Thanks for the subscription info by the way.

Can that all go in the manual so people can find it - even a link to this thread and that post. I know I appreciate a link that takes you to the solution.

Sure, let me see what @Patrick Cohen thinks on this :slight_smile:

On the other issues, I believe we've covered them here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-someone-advise-if-this-is-possible?replies=41#post-593886 ? :slight_smile:

Let me know if not, I'm here to help :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Karen

Jack

Thanks for that - but why are they appearing on ONE page (Subscriptions) but NOT THE OTHER (Renew/My Subscriptions) - it doesn't answer that -surely that should be consistent. If it works for one page it should work for both. (That's a BUG in my view.)

FYI I usually have it set up as Sandbox.

For one plugin (not sure which one).I was trying to find the info from my Paypal account but Paypal and the plug in didn't use the same terminology. (FYI The various plugins all seem to require/use different terminology for the Paypal information they require to be input).

ALSO could this please be put in the manual - as it is very frustrating to have it set to Sandbox/test mode only to find it isn't working. I have told my testers to test the site and it WON'T charge them - now I have to tell them it WILL - not very good.

Thanks. I will go and try and find/enter that data.

• Karen

Jack

I put that code in the CSS Editor in the WP dashboard (along with code for coloured buttons) and nothing happens.

It seems that in Events+ I have selected the colours for the background of the event AND the event text selected is WHITE - but something is overriding it to show text as blue and links as orange (as per theme CSS).

The code is not overriding it.

FYI - thanks if you can help fix it. (It may be a bug in the Events+ plugin.)

regards,
    Karen

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today, that code is for Membership and not for events+.

For events+ css could you post on the other events thread you have open with me and I'll be happy to help :slight_smile:

So just to clarify the above didn't change the sign up text color for the membership sign up buttons? That code should go into style.css, I just checked your site and it appears the sign up buttons do have white text now.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

That fixed it for both Subscriptions and My/Renew Subscriptions - Thanks (Is that one for the manual maybe, or to change in the code for the plugin??)

I put the code into Appearances/Edit CSS / CSS Stylesheet. Is that the right spot?

I have not had any luck working out how to put the code in the child theme. How do I get to it? Is it easy (via WP Dashboard?)

Any tips appreciated on how to do that if that is a better way (and upgrades won't write over them). Will the stuff in the Edit CSS code OK ie am I safe leaving it there.

Sorry to mix Events+ and Membership up - I have a lot on the go.

I'll see if I can find my Events+ post again.

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Karen,

Hope you're well today.

More one of if we add a customization setting :slight_smile:

Yep that's fine in the main style.css of your parent theme, it will get overwritten on a update.

I normally recommend using this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ Upon activation it adds a custom css sub menu in wp-admin > appearance.

You can use a child theme if you'd rather, are you currently using a child theme? If so In appearance editor > select the theme, then you can edit your style.css of that theme, though I'd recommend any changes be made via FTP rather than the admin interface of WordPress :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense, if I can help at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Thanks

I normally recommend using this plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ Upon activation it adds a custom css sub menu in wp-admin > appearance.

This is the one I am using.

I activated the BP Fun child theme today and - apart from replacing the BP Fun theme - when I thought it was a separate but additional theme) it also scrambled my two menus into one so that confuses me about how to use them (I have another thread on this.)

You can see it at https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/wpmu-issues-page/ where I have started listing pdf docs (your system can't handle the size of docs I create with screenshots.

FYI None of my screenshto docs have been small enough - even when I have just one screenshot - so I am trying this approach as it is easier at this end and (hopefully) the explanations in them are clearer as they are attached to the screenshots).

Thanks.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Karen,

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at the BP theme issue if I'm needed on that thread :slight_smile:

But just a bit of quick information, a child theme is basically the same as the child theme, but will have separate menus, as it's like a sub theme.

So you may just need to assign the menu in appearance > menu > menu locations :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Karen

Jack

Did you mean " a child theme is basically the same as the adult theme?

But just a bit of quick information, a child theme is basically the same as the child theme, but will have separate menus, as it's like a sub theme.

My question (to be clearer) :

I have the BP Fun theme loaded. When I activate the BP Fun Child theme - does the Child them AND the adult one stay activated. Does the Child theme deactivate the adult theme. Do they need each other to operate as "one unit".

When it screwed up the tabs, I freaked out and wasn't sure what to touch - adult theme (was it still there) or the child theme only?

If a BP Fun theme update comes along - do I update that - or do I wait for a BP Child Theme to appear.

Is there somewhere I can go to read about how child themes operate (that is clear and practically based).

I "understood" that you have a theme and ADD a child theme if you want to change things that don't get affected by a theme update (meaning both exist attached to your WP page).

What else does a child theme affect that I need to know about?

I guess I just don't understand how a child theme operates wrt the adult theme and what you amend from then on. (eg is Custom CSS still going to affect the site? is that operating on the adult or child theme. Does the child theme NEED the parent theme to operate fully???

Thanks if you can add to PCs comments at: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/query-about-global-change-to-bp-fun-theme?replies=4#post-603143

• Karen

Thanks Jack.

Read the WPMU one which made the most sense and answered some questions for me.

I am wondering if I had both activated as it wasn't clear that the parent theme needs to be there but not activated and the child theme only needs to be activated.

At this stage I really just want to know if I can safely hit the default button for BP Fun theme, add back the colours and it will OVERRIDE all the tinkering I did with text colours etc on each page..

That is what I need to know before I tinker with anything as I don't want to create a huge workload in restoring things.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.