Renewal form not showing at correct times

This is what I have done

- Made a subscription called "Document 30days", set it to Serial, with a 30 day duration
- Enabled the "PayPal Single Payments Gateway"
- In Members>Config>
- Set "Renewal period limit" to "7 days"
- Set "Membership upgrades" to "1 days"
- Made a test subscription, set it to Serial, with a 30 day duration

Am I to understand that on doing the above that
the Renew advice form will be displayed on the subscription page ONLY when it is 23 days old (i.e. 30 minus 7 "Renewal period limit")?

If that is the case then it is not working, in my case the renewal form is showing up even though the subscription is only new and has 30 days remaining

Can you let me know what to do

Thanks in advance

• Tyler Postle

Hey Patrick,

Hope you're doing well today!

The Serial subscription types will automatically renew after the amount of days you set. If you're using single payments gateway then it won't actually setup the subscription. So, you should be using Finite subscription type and allow them to renew as needed. With this setup the Renew form should only show when you've set it too :slight_smile:

Let me know if this does the trick!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Patrick

Sorry, I'm still missing something, as it's not working for me

BACKGROUND
    I have a site that has 2 finite subscriptions and 2 serial. I have now changed the gateway to use the "PayPal Payments Standard Gateway" so that I can handle either recurring or single payments for serial and finite subs respectively

So now my setup is (this realtes to the finite sub of 30days)

- setup and activated the "PayPal Payments Standard Gateway"
    - set the subscription to finite 30 days
    - set the "Renewal period limit" to 30 days just to test
    - Upgrades period limit is set to 1

But it does not display renew button, shouldn't it? I imagined it should show that now as it's day 30.

Or does the "Renewal period limit" button only relate to "PayPal Single Payments Gateway"?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

• Patrick

What do you mean by?

there will be an extra button link for the renewal one.

I assume you mean that 2 buttons would be visible if you had both "Standard" and "Single" gateways activated. This would be really confusing to my clients.

So just to conclude, am I right in thinking that if you use the "Standard" gateway then the renew button will never appear even if the subscription is fiinte?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Patrick,

I have attached a screenshot to show what I meant by the text you quoted there. Only the single payments gateway has a Paypal button for renew :slight_smile:

You can have both the payment gateways active if you like, there will be a new Gateway column in your Membership > All Members, so you can move users to a different gateway. Just keep in mind that only the PayPal Standard gateway can do recurring payments.

So just to conclude, am I right in thinking that if you use the "Standard" gateway then the renew button will never appear even if the subscription is fiinte?

You are right :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Patrick

OK sorry for being a pain, but I am in 2 minds as to whether I need recurring payments at all and may just go with the finite with renew scenario.

Which leads me back to this

If I now set it up like this:

- activated the "PayPal Single Payments" and deactivated the standard gateway
    - set the subscription to finite 30 days
    - set the "Renewal period limit" to 7 days
    - Upgrades period limit is set to 1

Then a subscribed user under this scenarion should be see a renew button when there is only 7 or less days until expiry...am I right?

If so in doing a test with this
    - set same as above except set the "Renewal period limit" to 30 days (just to get it to show)

The renew button does not show, your thoughts

BTW great support

Cheers

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Patrick!

Can you try changing your subscription type to 'serial' I was mistaken in my original post here. You need to use serial if you want members to be able to renew it, even with single payments. Finite assumes that you don't want your members to renew at the same level.

With single payments and serial you don't need to worry about it auto charging them because it won't, it just simply allows them to renew :slight_smile:

Hope this helps Patrick! Let me know if you have further questions here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.