Replaacing twenty-eleven header images with clickable links

@timothy

I want to replace all the twenty-eleven header images <<< Not problem there. But I need to know what to delete to keep them from going back to the home page when clicked, so I can replace it with external URL’s Example: 10 header images going to 10 different URL’s

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

The slightly complicated part would be to create a option area for the multiple urls and images (match them up). If it were just one link that could be done in a child theme quickly. I suppose another option could be to pull Stickies and their featured images, again though this would take some coding.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Sticky_Posts

Perhaps something like:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/twenty-eleven-showcase-slider/

Or swapping it out with another slide show type plugin like:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/meteor-slides/

could be another solution to consider?

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Yes these slides will work, but i like the image to change once the page is changed, and not with a set time.

I am trying to build all my websites with mobile broadband in mind; few images, not a lot of movment, etc…

I am wondering why i cannot delete the header images code that redirects to the home page, and replace it with links for each image i upload. you know the

.<. a. h. r. e. f. =. “THE URL TO LINK TO TEXT” .>.Image TO BE LINKED .<. /. a. >.

Is this not possible? Would it be done in the header php or the styles css? Or only in my dreams? lol

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @mtb1701

This was another one of those questions that intrigued me from the first moment I read it. So, I dug into it a little.

I found many, many posts and articles on how to change the images to images of your choosing, but I was looking for a plugin. I finally found one:

WP Dynamic Headers

However, be forewarned, it has not been updated since late 2010 – although it is still getting positive reviews on many websites saying that it still works perfectly. I guess you don’t update something if it’s working well.

Also, I learned something. You can actually control what image loads in the header by loading a featured image. So, if you are on the page domain.com/about-us, then you could load a Featured Image for that page and it would fill the header area. Of course, you’d want to crop and format it to fit the header area so it doesn’t stretch out o proportions.

Hopefully, some of this information would be helpful to you.

Have a productive week.

James Dunn

Athens, GA USA

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I am wondering why i cannot delete the header images code that redirects to the home page, and replace it with links for each image i upload. you know the

.<. a. h. r. e. f. =. “THE URL TO LINK TO TEXT” .>.Image TO BE LINKED .<. /. a. >.

Is this not possible? Would it be done in the header php or the styles css? Or only in my dreams? lol

The code is in the header.php file to pull images it should also check the post for an image and then use that.

Its the setting of multiple links. You could change the singular link.

How would you envisage the rest working? Where should it get a link from and to?

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

How would you envisage the rest working? Where should it get a link from and to?

I think you reworded my question. lol

My goal is to be able to upload a header the same way i would any twenty-eleven header. <<<So lets do away with that part of the question.

I want to change the link from the home page to external URL’s.

I am guessing that the php does not go off the image, but somthing else “hooked” to the header placment “thingy ma gig”????

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I got that, but will there will be multiple links. If so it’s this part which would require more code to be able to input the link somewhere and then pull it for the relevant image.

If its just the one link for all then you can do that with a simple change in the code.

Unless solution like James mentioned works for you?

Take care.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

lol since you corrected my spelling the other day; i cannot resist this. :slight_smile:

Example: 10 header images going to 10 different URL’s

But on a serious note! <<almost put not there. lol

If the plugin works i will use it, but with themes i want to learn how to code everything. It’s like my introduction to code.

I also am checking out the w3schools you mentioned to another member. Did i give you points for that? I sure meant to, but when i get reading something everything else goes out the door.

Summary:

1. Yes multiple images going to multiple URL,s. 1 URL per image.

2. Yes I can use a plugin if need be, but would rather code it. ohhh snap; would the plugin create code somewhere in the theme for me to copy and paste in a child theme?

Thanks Tim

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @mtb1701 (Tim).

If you are wanting to get into the coding, you might want to read this article:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/48955/how-to-change-the-url-of-a-clickable-banner

It uses custom posts to generate the clickable URL.

BTW, I’m sure you’re aware of this, but you can use the featured image on a page to define a specific header image for that page. Just choose the image as the featured image (with the image being formatted to the proper size for your header) and it will automatically be defined as the header image for that page – rather than the random rotating images that would happen on pages that don’t have a featured image defined.

The trick is getting that header image (the featured image) to have the clickable link that you want. I tried putting in a link in the media files, but it didn’t follow through to the header image – it still directed to the main page of the website.

If I find anything else that might help, I’ll be sure to post it here as well.

Talk to you soon.

James Dunn

Athens, GA USA

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Actually i was not aware of that!

I will check out that link before i try the plugin. I am currently helping another member with a language barrier. I think i seen you post a like to the thread!. I should be finnished in a few hours. I’ll check everything out then.

Thanks!

How many “gifted” points are you short for a life time mebership @jamesdunn, and when do you need to renew your membership?

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @mtb1701

Although I joined last October (I think it was), I was not a paid member of WPMUDev until this past March sometime – when a client bought me an annual membership so I would have access to the forums here. He hoped I could get answers when I needed them and I have. His investment has paid off for him and me many times over.

As for “gifted” points – I have NO CLUE. With the new dashboard, even though you click “Show All”, it doesn’t really show all of the gifted points you’ve received. I may be close, I may be already there, I don’t really have a clue.

I think I know the thread you’re talking about. I saw it and shied away because I wasn’t sure I could really be of great help.

Take care and let me know if any of that works. If not, I’ll keep digging. My good friend in Germany says I’m a Terrier – I grab hold of something like this and don’t turn loose.

James Dunn

Athens, GA USA

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

You can check you total points by entering your dashboard via the dashboard option on a website that the WPMU Dev dashboard is on. If you try to find them via the dashboard here it pagnates the report. pagnates<<<I think that is the right word. “hides some information to make room for new” But you can check it on the WPMU dev dashboard in any website that it is installed on and get the full report.

Thanks Agian JamesDunn

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday again @mtb1701

Tim, it looks like I have 423 “gifted” points from about 23 different people, so I’ve got that side covered. Just gotta get busy helping others out more and I’ll have my 1,000 points to be considered for Lifetime.

Thanks again for asking and for showing me how to find that info.

It’s 1:30AM here, so I think I’m going to bed. Talk later.

JDD

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

lol My name is Mark! lol I thought you was referring to Timothy.

I was going to give you half of what you needed for the “Gifted Points” but it looks like your well under way.

I have like 165 gifted points! I have given away between 150 – 200 points. lol Sometimes because people help me or i see them help others.

I was thinking about using them to hire other members for some work. lol Figure i better ask @mason before doing that one. lol

Yeah it’s 1:AM here now! I have changed my sleep schedule to help the other member who is from Taiwan! That +13 hours can be hard to work around.

See you later JamesDunn! <<< I always put JamesDunn so i don’t ping our “benevolent dictator” by mistake. lol

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Lots of reading here Tim! :slight_smile:

lol since you corrected my spelling the other day; i cannot resist this. :slight_smile:

Feel free to go through all my posts, you’ll have a field day making corrections :wink: lol

How did that plugin work for you?

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.