Replacement for Absolute Privacy?

I'm setting up a Multisite version of some unique sites I've been running for some time now. They're for extended families to have a private place to communicate. I've been using Absolute Privacy http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/absolute-privacy/ from the repository. However it's not Multisite compatible. I'm wondering if Membership can replace it? And if not, if there are any other possibilities that might help.

Absolute Privacy does 2 key things that I need: 1. It makes the site private, all except for a designated page which all non-logged-in visitors are redirected to. 2. It allows the admin to approve or deny newly registered users of the site. Because these are family sites, myself or my staff can't approve users, as we don't know who is their family or not. So we need to be able to turn this over to the person who purchased the site, letting in only those who are family. But it also needs to send an email to the Admin or designated person to notify them when a new user needs approved.

Can Membership replicate this functionality. If not, is there another plugin that would? Or is there any chance that WPMUdev would take Absolute Privacy and update it for MU and make it a premium plugin or merge it into an existing one? Or does WPMUdev ever undertake projects if someone is willing to pay for part of the expense, but allow WPMUdev to offer it as a premium plugin?

On a related note, I'm also using a plugin called Register Plus Redux to allow the family members to fill out additional information like phone number and physical address (which are displayed on a "family contact list" page). It appears this plugin is gone from the repository. Are there any WPMUdev plugins that allow adding of fields to the registration form?

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Tevya,

Have you tried the Multisite privacy plugin?. It is very powerful with some interesting options that might give a solution to your requests. Just install it and give it a try.

Also have a look at this plugin: Cimy User Extra Fields. It works extremely well and can be configured for either your whole multisite or on a per blog/site basis.

I hope these help for starters. Let us know how you do.
    Thanks, marikamitsos

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Tevya,

Hi! Thanks for using the WPMU forums :slight_smile:

I think it's great that you are looking here for a new fix, definitely a wise choice as the community here is top notch!

I went through the plugins list and put in a few key search terms. Here is what I found that would fit your needs:

Multisite Privacy https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/sitewide-privacy-options-for-wordpress-mu
    This should be a good fix, or a great starting point for your privacy needs.

Communities is incredibly powerful and also a great option. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/communities

Membership would allow you to restrict access according to subscription and has some really great addons that you might find useful. Scroll down to find them here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

Membership allows you to add custom fields to registration as does buddypress (buddypress.org). The majority of WPMU plugins are made to work with buddypress.

Without knowing exactly what you are doing it's hard to give you a perfect answer. Your sites sound incredibly interesting! I love the idea of families being able to communicate with each other, it's such an important thing :slight_smile:

The best thing would be for you to make a list of what you want then check out the plugins directory to see what we have. Compare the merits of each. I'm very sure there is a solution here that will work to make your sites spectacular! And the best part it is they will be updated and compatible with multisite :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Thanks marikamitsos those look like they will help greatly.

Kimberly, thank you also. You can see more of what I'm doing here: http://fiddlerstudios.com/family-website-communication-privacy/ I've been building them as single-site WP installs, but am starting to get more clients. So I'm switching to Multisite to run them more efficiently.

So Membership will allow me to add fields to the registration form, right?

Also, it appears that Membership supports keeping sites private. Will I need Multisite Privacy as well? Or will Membership do the job just fine?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm happy to install these plugins and play with them. However my time is limited, so I'm trying to focus on the least amount of plugins I'll need. Then I don't spend time learning and setting up a plugin that's not really needed. Thanks.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Tevya,

Let's see if I can run down all of that for ya: :slight_smile:

You can set up Membership across a network, you just need to network activate it from the superadmin panel. Alternately you can choose to activate it blog by blog via the plugin panel.

You will create your levels on the blog itself.

You can use Membership to secure pages on your blog, yes.

My suggestion would be to start with membership. Then create a test account and try to access one of the blogs, testing the privacy settings to see if they are to your satisfaction.

And don't ever apologize for asking questions, I am like you and never seek to over-solve a problem. The simpler the better I say! :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• Tevya
    • Recruit

Okay, so the Membership plugin can't be applied network wide. I'd just need to use the site template plugin to create each new site with the same settings. That all makes sense. I'll start playing and testing and see what I come up with.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.