Replacing the username with nickname in url

For security reasons, I do not want the url in this form ".... /questions/user/username/" but something like this ".... /questions/user/nickname/".

Is it possible?

Thank you,
Dragps

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dragos,

Hope you're doing well today!

This functionality isn't currently possible; hoever, I can mark it as a feature request :slight_smile: I know some users prefer to hide the usernames. To change it now it would require some custom development. I'll flag this for our SLS staff(coding experts) as they can provide some guidance if you were wanting to do this yourself.

Keep in mind SLS deal with more complex threads so their responses can be a little slower.

Let us know if you have any further questions in the meantime.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Jose

Hi there Dragos,

This is something quite complicated to achieve.
    You would need to add a custom rewrite rule, change the links across the plugin (there is proper hook for this), and finally build a custom query since the nickname is not a WP Query author parameter.
    It would me easier to make it work with user IDs.

That said, there is a major issue in your approach anyway.
    Nicknames are not unique in wordpress, and therefore it is not a suitable parameter for this kind of filter.

Last, I don't think that showing usernames could be a security problem. If you are trying to avoid brute force attacks, I would advice to secure your wp-login.php with a limit access by IP in your server config.

This link can be useful as well: http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.