REQ: What is the easiest way for user account creation with marketpress?

Hey, my first support ticket - lol.

Plugin: Marketpress.
Issue: Okay, I've been trying to figure out the easiest way for the user to get an account whilst purchasing a product.

At present, we have the option to select "Force Login". That is great and all, but for the user who hasn't got an account he/she has to register which takes them away from shopping cart.

Also, on the mp_show_cart() function

case 'account-creation':
          $content .= $settings['msg']['shipping'];
          $content .= _mp_cart_shipping(true);
          break;

This doesn't create an account, and also on the shipping page: /store/shopping-cart/shipping/

Made a purchase here before? Login now to retrieve your saved info »

At no point in the buying process does a purchase create an account unless the user himself creates an account before hand ???

I could be wrong of course, but reading through the code couldn't find anything that creates an account once user purchases something. This is rather flawed. It's fine for non-account purchases, but horrible for standard behavior of carts to create an account so user doesn't have to input all info etc next time.

I do know you are saving info in session / cookie, but that doesn't help a week / month / year down the line? Does it?

If you look at the jigoshop, there front end checkout system is really nice, includes login form for existing users, and users without account adds username / password fields to form and once purchase goes through it creates user and automatically logs user in to his account and directs him to his account page. Very cool indeed.

So Ticket Questions:
Q1: Is this basic account creation functionality going to be added to marketpress?
Q2: If not, what is the developers recommended way for me to add this in?

Thanks guys,
Jonathan

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Jonathon,

I see what you're getting at. Forcing login requires registration but the registration process for WordPress just isn't streamlined enough to be used for a shopping cart.

The difficulty here is that we want to over-ride default behaviour as little as possible so taking over the registration process should be avoided. Otherwise, we could cause all kinds of conflicts.

Have a look at Register Plus Redux which should help you to streamline the registration and hopefully make it easier on your customers and therefore conversion rate :wink:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/register-plus-redux/

I'll pass this onto the developer too for suggestions. He may have some thoughts on this too.

Phil

• Aaron
    • CTO

Q1: Is this basic account creation functionality going to be added to marketpress?

The current plan is no, it would cause too many conflicts with other plugins as well as adding a new registration point for spammers.

Q2: If not, what is the developers recommended way for me to add this in?

I'm open to ideas?

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for getting back to me on this @Aaron.

Firstly, hope you had a great break away - and welcome back :wink:

Q1: Okay - I understand.
    Q2: I have a few - but if I can't filter/hook into those areas I'll have to change core - But, I'm going to try and use the current templating system, and just create my own functions (custom code).

I think the best place to create a user account is after product has been purchased. This stops spam registration. I'm going to have to play around with your plugin...
    What I like about this move to post formats - it really makes shopping carts in general lightweight plugins. Meaning - they used to be bloatware, now they are starting to streamline.

Sidenote: I have greatest respect of both you and barry - have learnt huge amounts about coding just from messing around and reading your stuff. Thanks for the great education :wink:

• Chris
    • The Bug Hunter

I think Aaron has got bored with his holiday...

It's not perfect, but you could add some text right at the start of the checkout process saying - you need to register an account with us before checkout, if you haven't please click here.

Clearly not perfect though, better would be the standard streamlined process.

• Jonathan

@bigonroad,

That is already there - that's the issue - laugh. Takes user away from shopping cart and disrupts the whole checkout process.

I am thinking user...
    checkouts as usual - and (I haven't a clue yet) create user when user moves from 'recieved' to 'paid' - got to check code first to see how that works.
    Or try to hijack the code on thank you page... I agree, I don't want registration during checkout. In fact, I want to deactivate registration entirely. Only customers have accounts - period.

• Jonathan

So you want the act of purchasing to create the account, so they get an email saying "thanks for your purchase, you can log into your account here".
    It's true, for WP to be a proper e-commerce platform it needs this.

Absolutely. And... and I know people don't consider this an issue now, but it will be - users want there account details, there recent purchase history to be protected behind an account wall. Not dangled out in the open for everyone to see.
    When I say everyone, I mean everyone in the know, who make it there business finding those sorts of pages :wink:

Will have a look at how other plugins code it, if I get time.

jigoshop has it - but it creates account too early in the checkout process... i'll see how they do it, and maybe figure it it - lol

The more brains the better :wink:

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

So you want the act of purchasing to create the account, so they get an email saying "thanks for your purchase, you can log into your account here".
    It's true, for WP to be a proper e-commerce platform it needs this.

+1 from me too.

As a sidenote. I wish I see a similar standard behavior when using the Supporter (ProBlogs beta) and/or Membership plugins.
    Meaning: People using either of these plugins even when giving away free or free-days sites/blogs always have in the back of their heads a paid user, meaning a customer.
    So it would be nice when someone decides to click the "Gimme a Site" button, to be taken straight to the paypal account, fill in their info and then be given a site. I think this would be a great antisplog system.

The more brains the better :wink:

Well... You can count me out on this one :slight_frown:

• Aaron
    • CTO

There are filters where you could add a form or link or even redirect to the last checkout page, but it's important to note that the checkout flow is determined by the gateway. Many gateways don't take you back to a confirmation page, they just don't support it.

Registering a user is simple in WP though, all you need is to pass an email address and username to a function and a random password is emailed.

• Jonathan

There are filters where you could add a form or link or even redirect to the last checkout page, but it's important to note that the checkout flow is determined by the gateway. Many gateways don't take you back to a confirmation page, they just don't support it.

Yeah, gateways aren't my strong suit - but one way I have considered is copying existing gateway and modifying it to include account creation either early on
    process_payment - I think jigoshop does it here.
    but I was thinking that
    process_ipn_return might be best place to create account, just after
    $mp->update_order_payment_status($tco_vendor_order_id, "paid", true);

I'm trying to make changes plugin type able, and with the least amount of code - lol
    Your thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated :wink:

Registering a user is simple in WP though, all you need is to pass an email address and username to a function and a random password is emailed.

Gotcha - Thanks :wink:

• Elle Billias
    • Flash Drive

+1 this is a great idea - i thought I had seen it somehwere (sorry for posting it in the forums as well)

My vote would go to making different options available in the admin settings ie.

1. Customer account created AFTER checkout
    2. User can create customer account DURING checkout
    3. User can create customer account at any time

This kind of set up would put MarketPress in line with other non-WP based ecommerce solutions.

The reason I personally would want to be able to define when/where a user can register depending on the application of the site.

Currently I am trying to help a friend of mine move over from CongoCart

MarketPress is superior in all areas (in my opinion) except accounts.

Couldn't something be achieved using a custom role, i.e Customer?

• Robert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

+1 definitely from this quarter as well.

I just started running my test site through Paypal Sandbox, and immediately noticed that checkout includes a place to sign in for an existing account. But I could find no way to create such an account. So I was more than a bit mystified about this -- and imagine a customer would be as well. I don't expect lots of repeat purchases, so the addition of an account creation module is not all that important to me (at the moment; it might be down the road). But if you can't create an account, then removing the account sign-in to avoid confusion definitely *is* important. Or am I missing something, and there is a way to remove the account sign-in section that I haven't discovered?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.