Request: Autoblog but titles ONLY to appear on main page

Is there any way I can use this to pull titles only from the source feed, so the titles will appear on my widget but when the user clicks the title they go directly to the other site to read the content?

I have two blogs set up on my server that I want this for, without the duplicate content risks of SEO penalty. I have no intention on making these two sites a multi application. They will remain single, but I wish to have all the articles from the one blog (or as many as I define) appear as links only on my widget from the main page.

By the way, I love, love, love autoblog. I just don't want the duplicate content on my one web hosting platform.

Thanks!

K

PS - maybe there is another plugin I can use for this? If so, please let me know.

Thankies, thankies!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Kate,

You can customise the display of the posts within you theme by removing the_excerpt or the_content (whichever is used) to get rid of the content of the posts.

Then, you could use autoblog to pull the URL of the original post into a custom field, replacing the_permalink with that new custom field.

I understand that's very technical so I'll try and provide some better guidance when I'm back at my computer later on :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Phil

• Kate
    • Flash Drive

That sounds perfect for what I want, to just display the links on the home page to the articles that I have hosted on my other blog.

This way, I don't have two copies of my articles on the same server host, which I learned is not the best to do.

Maybe this could be an entirely new plugin if there is more interest from others, but thank you! I will look for the update when you have the time and I'll try it out!

Best,

K

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Autoblog stores the original URL of the post in a post meta field called original_source. This can be used with some code to make the permalinks go directly back to the original post rather than one on your site.

You can use something like (which i wrote a loooong time ago):
    http://jakespurlock.com/2009/09/how-to-point-your-post-permalink-to-an-external-site/

Change line 23 from:
    if ($pkey=='url1' || $pkey=='title_url' || $pkey=='url_title' || $pkey=='external') {
    to
    if ($pkey=='original_source') {

and any imported posts will then have their permalinks directed to the external site.

Edit: I've put it together for you here:
    http://snipt.net/cafespain/use-external-permalink-for-autoblog-imported-posts

• Kate
    • Flash Drive

Oh, thank you!!!

I understand what you say when you said change line 23 to what you put in the next box, but I don't know how to use the code that you put all together. Do I replace a .php of the autoblog with it?

I'm under a time constraint tonight, but I am going to try what you suggested to replace tomorrow and I'll report back in.

Thank you so much!

K

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

but I don't know how to use the code that you put all together. Do I replace a .php of the autoblog with it?

Place it all in a php file and put it either in the autoblog/autoblogincludes/plugins directory, or directly in your wp-content/plugins directory and activate it as though it was a regular plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.