Request for Remove Dashboard Widgets plugin

Hello everyone,
I am brand new in your community and happy to join.
Up till now I have been using the wordpress.org plugins for both my standalone and multisite installations and been happy with quite a few of them.
One of them is the excellent Dashboard commander plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dashboard-commander/).
It's main feature is that it manages to exclude even dynamically loaded plugins like the ones by yoast.com. BTW I use the beautiful Joost's SEO plugin for my sites so far. How does the WPMU DEV SEO compare to it? Any posts on the subject? Should I change over?
But let me get back to the dashboard Commander. The thing is that one has to visit the dashboard to set it up otherwise you get a blank dashboard till this is done. I wonder if this would be a problem using it together with the New Blog Templates Plugin.
Furthermore could you implement such a function -without having to go to the dashboard first- to the WPMU plugin? And maybe join it together with the Dashboard Feeds plugin.
Could you please look into it?
What does the rest of the people think about the enhancement? Sounds interesting?
Thank you all

• DavidM

Hi marikamitsos and welcome to WPMU DEV! We're happy you joined!

I've gone ahead and moved this over the feature suggestion forum for ya!

To start with, I haven't seen any comparisons of the two SEO plugins but I can tell you for sure that WPMU DEV SEO is easy to use and incredibly powerful and definitely comparable from what I've heard.

As for the Remove WordPress Dashboard Widgets plugin, the plugin itself wouldn't require any setup. Were you referring to the setup of the Dashboard Commander plugin?

If so, you could set it up however you like, then use New Blog Templates to setup a template of the site you've set it up at and it will use all those settings when you create new sites (assuming you're using that site as the default template of course).

And I take it you'd like to see the Remove Dashboard Widgets plugin merged with the Dashboard Feeds plugin, correct? Interesting request, worth looking into.

Anyone else interested in a merger of those two?

Cheers,
    David

• marikamitsos

Hello DavidM,
    Happy to be here and thank you for moving the topic and fixing the forum (for some reason I could not use the bold, italic, link etc functions the other day-it could be just me).
    I love the functionality of the WPMU plugins. That is why I asked for a comparison of the two SEO tools. I guess i have to try and test them myself (and probably post the results in the forum...????-am I allowed to do this?)
    Now about the dashboard.

As for the Remove WordPress Dashboard Widgets plugin, the plugin itself wouldn't require any setup. Were you referring to the setup of the Dashboard Commander plugin?

Exactly. From the plugin's FAQ:

Why is my dashboard empty after installing your plugin?
    After installation access to all dashboard widgets is removed, then you can use the options at Settings > Dashboard Commander to configure the minimum access level for each widget.

I haven't tested it with New Blog Templates yet. :slight_frown:

And I take it you'd like to see the Remove Dashboard Widgets plugin merged with the Dashboard Feeds plugin, correct?

Correct. Furthermore....
    I see that for both the dashboard-widget-order and custom-content-dashboard-widget the core developer is Mohanjith and for dashboard-feeds Andrey. Isn't Dashboard Feeds redundant by now? Everyone does get an option to edit the feeds.

How about merging all of them together to solve the dashboard issues once and for all?
    Or creating a brand new plugin that would probably:
    1. Let only Network-admins handle rights/configuration to Dashboard Feeds, Custom Content Dashboard Widget, Dashboard Widget Order (as they already do). Then the Dashboard command (or similar) functionality would kick in and handle the rest and only the rest.
    2. Let Site-Admins decide who they want to allow to view the widgets but without giving them permission to disallow/edit the Dashboard Feeds and Custom Content Dashboard Widget.

What does everyone else think?
    Can we get more +1 comments?

Thank you all for your time and efforts.

PS: I know I raised a few questions about the dashboard. I am not so familiar with the forum yet. Should I open/copy them to a different topic altogether titled "Request for brand new dashboard plugin"?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.