Rescaling DB with Multi-DB plugin

Hi

I have basic question about Multi-DB installation.

Is it better to think ahead and install Multi-DB before the growth of the site or is it better to wait to get 10000 users (if ever) and then try to install it and reinstall all the plugins like Supporter, Support System etc, that needs slight modification id Multi-DB is installed?.

Is it even possible?

Regards,

Peter

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Peter,

I imagine it would be much simpler to go through the process at the start of the site and you wouldn't have to worry about doing it once the site is up and running.

Though I'd hate to steer you wrong or not give you enough information at the start (which is the crucial point), so I'll ask a couple folks to stop by and share their insight on this.

Cheers,
    David

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If your long term plan is thousands of users and sites then it's probably better to plan for that now and get yourself in a position where you can scale without significant downtime.

What would I rather do when i hit performance problems? Move a huge single database to a dedicated db server and have to switch off writes to all of them until it's completed, or move a few of the most active blogs over to a dedicated server / db to reduce load whilst leaving the rest up and running?

• Peter
    • Flash Drive

Hi, Barry.

if i understand you right, it is good for me i do next thing:

First I am going to scale it to 256 database (one dedicated server) and in case of really, really good scenario (which we all wish for...:wink: ) i am going to split it again to higher number, namely 4096. If that will be the case i will have to use another dedicated server, which will be only dedicated db server.

Just to clear my knowledge i would like to ask you something else:

1.) What if my site will not let users to create blogs...Let us say only registrations will be enabled. Is your Multi DB also useful for purposes like that? Let us hypothetically say i have 200000 unique users per day. I suppose one dedicated server for that big number of unique users per day is not enough. Or is it? (for example server with one Intel® Core™ i7-920 with 24 GB Ram)

2.) If Multi DB plugin can split one database to 4096 database. Does that mean i can use 4096 dedicated db servers? Sorry for my lack of knowledge i was studying psychology.

Kind Regards,

Peter

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Peter,

If you think 4096 databases is a real need for your site in the future, I'd recommend going with that. There's little performance reason to go with 256 as a mid-step and I don't believe it's possible to go from 256 to 4096 with the default plugin here (Barry can correct me on that).

Also, multi-db is for multisites - if you just have 200000 users with only 1 site this plugin isn't for for you :slight_smile:

• Peter
    • Flash Drive

Hi Again to all of You,

Thank you all for clearing my thoughts on that issue.

As you said, multi-db is for multisites. Would somebody be so kind and send me some link to read how to make additional db servers to work as one big database and connect it with only one site. I am Google-ing it, but because of my lack of knowledge, it seems i do not know how to ask the right question.

1.) Is it good for me as psychologist without technical background to learn this and make it myself or

2.) Is this job for professionals? How much would that cost me.

Regards,

Peter

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Peter,

I couldn't seem to find anything specific to that one myself, though perhaps others here would know better. I did find the following insightful discussion helpful regarding scaling in general:
    http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/1162/how-well-does-wordpress-scale

And if you're looking for a developer or consultant on the matter, we've got a job board setup specifically for that purpose. :slight_smile:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.