Resize original image resizes backup

Hi,

in WP Smush Pro I have settings:
Resize original images
Include my original full-size images
Make a copy of my original images

I think there should be one extra setting - Not resize copy of my original images

I think more people like me want to leave backup of their original images untouched but they want to resize smushed original images.

Can you please add it in some later update?

Thanks,
Jiri

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jiri

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I have already moved your thread to our "Features & Feedback" forum as a feature suggestion. I have also asked our developers to make sure about what would be the proper and expected outcome of these options turned on all together at the same time so please keep an eye on this thread for further information.

Best regards,
    Adam

Adam Czajczyk

Hello again Jiri

I just got a confirmation that with all these options enabled, the copies should be untouched - those would be backup images as they are in Media Library before any optimization takes place.

I think then this makes this feature request more of a request for clear explanation in plugin's UI on how these options work rather than an additional feature With "copies of original images" enabled, those copies should be those real original images.

Best regards,
    Adam

Jiri

Hi,

I understand but I still need to leave original file untouched even if "Resize original images" option is checked.

If I have original image 4000x4000 and options:
    Resize original images 2048x2048
    Include my original full-size images
    Make a copy of my original images

... I need files image.bak.jpg (original size 4000x4000, original-unsmushed) and image.jpg (resized 2048x2048, smushed). Now there is image.bak.jpg (resized 2048x2048, unsmushed).

There's trend that image sizes are larger and larger year by year (4K, retinas etc.) so I need to preserve backup of original image as large as it is possible but serve user on url /image.jpg image in reasonable size for now (for faster website and lower traffic). I don't want to download photos to backup, that's what I pretend by "backup option" of WP Smush Pro.

So I think change of this behavior or new option "Not resize copy of my original images" will be very usefull.

Thanks,
    Jiri

Dimitris

Hey there Jiri,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in!

I gave this use case a try and I can confirm that the copied image doesn't use the dimensions of the original uploaded file, but the dimensions after resizing due to the "Resize original images" setting.

I've already contacted Smush lead dev about it and a bug report has been filed.
    Upcoming version will rectify this, so just keep an eye for any Smush Pro updates!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris