Responsive theme not seeming too responsive

I am experimenting with a free wordpress theme called Mantra. Surprisingly, I have figured out how to do a few things. But even though it is supposedly a responsive theme, it looks different on my phone. I have made the header smaller and sharper, changed my background photo and moved the title to center but these changes are not showing up on my phone. Plus a test post that I deleted is still showing up on my phone (but not on my notebook). I know this isn't a premium wpmudev theme but can anyone give me any suggestions? I was just starting to get a shred of confidence that I might be able to create this site. You guys keep saving me...hoping for another catch. :slight_smile:

• DavidM

Hi @Nancy,

Hope you're doing great today! :slight_smile:

Hmm, if a test post that was deleted is showing up when viewing by phone, that's certainly an issue! Sounds like that phone is likely viewing a cached version of the site. By any chance, have you tried refreshing the page when viewing?

Also, could I ask what phone you're viewing it from?

I do see that your header text is changing position when the window is resized but could I ask how it is that you changed it so that the header text centers? Is it a theme option or did you add in some css for it?

Thanks,
    David

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Nancy,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

But even though it is supposedly a responsive theme, it looks different on my phone.

In the responsive theme it's common that when seeing this theme in the mobile device the layout of the page shifts depending on the size of the screen; with different layouts for content depending on viewing area.

Is it displaying differently than what is displaying on the following link?
    http://demos.cryoutcreations.eu/wordpress/mantra/

I have made the header smaller and sharper, changed my background photo and moved the title to center but these changes are not showing up on my phone. Plus a test post that I deleted is still showing up on my phone (but not on my notebook).

Could you please tell me exactly what changes you have made in the theme by sharing the screenshots of it and the test post link so that i can test it on my mobile device?

Also let me know which phone are you using?
    Is it happening with particular phone and not other?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Nancy

@David, I'm viewing it on an iphone 5. I made the changes by changing the px in my header settings, not with css. This and the otherchanges show up on my laptop but not my phone. And thank you for that second part, but I am very new at this and don't speak code lol. But yes, I did refresh the page.

Vinod, hmmm....yes, that link you sent does look different on my phone than on my notebook. I haven't checked on another phone and tomorrow I will see what it looks like on my ipad. What I created looked exactly the same on both devices until I made the changes. Now the old not touched up version is still showing up on my phone but the changes show up on my notebook. I don't know how to take a snapshot but I will research that online and do so tomorrow. I am breaking computer curfew...if I don't set one, I'm on here all night with this.

Thank you both SO much. I'm going to just be proud of what I was able to figure out today. Tomorrow, I will make even more progress. Goodnight.

• DavidM

Hi @Nancy,

No worries at all about not speaking code. We'll speak to the computer for ya! :slight_smile:

You can actually copy and paste that snippet into your theme's style.css file.

But to make it even easier, you could just install this and paste the snippet right in at
    Appareance > Custom CSS:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/imporved-simpler-css/

How would that work for ya?

Cheers!
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.