Restaurant Bookings Plugin [Appointments]

Hi all: I am using the appointments plugin to serve as a small restaurant CRS and have a couple questions.

- Is this wpmudev plugin the best to use for managing restaurant bookings? If not what would you recommend?

- When appointment reminders are sent out how can I include the details? Currently 3 default emails are being sent out once a booking takes place; 1) Confirmation of booking [to appointment] 2) New appoint notice [to admin] 3) A reminder [to appointment]. None of them include appointment details and that's what I am trying to figure out.

Thanks a bunch!

Rob

• Rob

Hi there: Please disregard my comments. The response time is too slow for my project timeline. After reviewing many of the comments on the forum it seems the plugin should not be on the market yet. I have played for a couple of days with this plugin and give up now...too many nuances that need to be addressed by the programming team!

I choose to go with this plugin http://appointzilla.com/ as it is market ready and a lot easier to use.

I wish you the best developing this plugin.

Respectfully,

Rob

• Hakan

Hi Rob,

Is this wpmudev plugin the best to use for managing restaurant bookings? If not what would you recommend?

Appointments is especially designed for service providers serving clients. It is not intended for restaurant bookings.

We are working on a Bookings+ plugin which is the correct plugin for restaurant bookings, but in some cases Appointments+ can be used for such bookings too. It all depends on the individual business requirements.

It is quite easy to customize emails and it is already written how to do it just under the email setting fields:

For the above email subject and message contents, you can use the following placeholders which will be replaced by their real values: SITE_NAME, CLIENT, SERVICE, SERVICE_PROVIDER, DATE_TIME, PRICE, DEPOSIT, PHONE, NOTE, ADDRESS, EMAIL (Client's email)

As a side note, the default confirmation and reminder messages already include "Date and time: DATE_TIME" so I am not sure why you thought:

None of them include appointment details

Contrary to the above information, shortcodes cannot be used in emails, and no need to use them there.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Rob

Thanks Haken! It’s nice to hear from you.

It is a small restaurant in a small town that only does group bookings like business meetings, weddings, conferences, etc. That’s what we wanted to use the plugin for and after the time I spent we were really close.

Where I became confused was trying to set the hours up. Their hours are 11AM to 11PM, 7 days a week. When they do events, they last 4 hours. Between each booking is a 2 hour break for clean up. This means they can do 2 bookings a day with a 2 hour break and 2 hours to clean up at the end of each day. I tried adding the code you suggested to the functions.php file so I could create a custom start time…white screen of death [using WPMU’s Nelo Theme].

If this plug-in worked as I understand and I think you intend, it would work just fine for my purpose.

In regards to email notifications, they do not include appointment details with or without shortcodes. It’s a really neat feature that I liked, if I could only get it to work. It is not that I thought…

None of them include appointment details

It is actually what is happening when I tested the plug-in.

Finally, in my research seeking a plug-in that does work as intended, I have learned http://appointzilla.com/ may not be as market ready as I thought. After thoroughly testing it there are several JQuery conflicts and other bugs.

Because I am pressed for time now I am looking for a plug-in that actually works for making appointments [reservations]. In hindsight, this plug-in may be the one if I could only get the auto-responding emails to send appointment info and the hours described above to stick without white screen of death.

Thanks a lot,

Rob

• Hakan

I tried adding the code you suggested to the functions.php file so I could create a custom start time…white screen of death [using WPMU’s Nelo Theme].

You mean this:

function new_starting_hour( $start ) {
        return 11;
    }
    add_filter( 'app_schedule_starting_hour', 'new_starting_hour' );

Check if you have a ?> at the end of functions.php and you added these codes before that closing tag.

If it doesn't help, setting WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php should show where the error is and details of it:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Here is a sample confirmation e-mail message:

Dear CLIENT,

We are pleased to confirm your appointment for SITE_NAME.

Here are the appointment details:
    Requested service: SERVICE
    Price of the service: PRICE
    Date and time: DATE_TIME

SERVICE_PROVIDER will assist you for this service.

Here is the contact information you have submitted. Please check them and inform us if anything is wrong:
    Your email: EMAIL
    Your phone: PHONE
    Your address: ADDRESS
    Your note: NOTE

Kind regards,
    SITE_NAME

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.