Need restore instructions for Snapshot Pro - first time user

My hosting company tried to move my site today, and screwed it up, then told me I was on my own to fix it. It is a multisite.

I have snapshots made every day, but when I went in to restore, there are things in there I do not understand (basically all of it).

Is there a detailed manual for this?
Restore Blog options
What tables to restore?
What files to restore?
Restore theme options

There is red warning language on some of these, so I do not want to screw this up.

I could not find any documentation, and I do not know what I am doing.

I need assistance to do this correctly. It's already been an exasperating day, I do not need to add to it by messing the restore up.

Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Hope you're doing well today!

Wow, sounds like pretty poor customer service from your host :slight_frown:

As for restoring your multisite. Snapshot is meant for backing up and restoring 1 site at a time. It doesn't backup an entire multisite. For multisite it's a good idea to have a server side backup as well, such as through cPanel.

If you don't have a server side backup, then what you can do is install WordPress and snapshot, then turn it into a network install. Restore your main site backup and then restore each of your subsites :slight_smile:

You may need to add back all your plugins/themes as well if they weren't included in the mainsite backup.

Hope this helps! Make sure going forward you setup a cPanel backup for the whole multisite as well - it's worth asking your host because often they will do weekly backups.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Charles

Yes, I back up from cpanel as well as snapshot.

Thank you Tyler. Yes, I had a long discussion with them. They got things back to the way they were before they broke it, so I am ok with that. Other than this incident they have been terrific. They do not help with multisite.

If you have information on how to migrate from a subdomain to the root in a multisite scenario, I am all ears and eyes ( test.coralrestorationintl.org needs to be migrated to coralrestorationintl.org. I still need test.coralrestorationintl.org to remain intact for further development).

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:
    Install snapshot on the network (which I have done and hooked it into Amazon S3), and set up an individual snapshot process for each site? That I can do, as right now all I have is the main site, and we will be adding sites throughout the year as we expand.

Can I use the same destination for both the test and the live site (same AWS Access Key ID?)?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the reply and glad the host was able to revert it back :slight_smile: awesome.

As for moving a subsite to the root of the network - that's not possible without a lot of db manipulation. Reason being is that all the global tables are associated with the main site.

Is there a reason you want it to be the main site? Perhaps just domain mapping it would be easier. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:
    Install snapshot on the network (which I have done and hooked it into Amazon S3), and set up an individual snapshot process for each site? That I can do, as right now all I have is the main site, and we will be adding sites throughout the year as we expand.

Can I use the same destination for both the test and the live site (same AWS Access Key ID?)?

Yes, you can use the same destination for all the snapshots :slight_smile: you might want to name them something unique to make it easy to figure out which snapshot is for which site.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Yes, it was the whole point.
    test.coralrestorationintl.org is the development site
    coralrestorationintl.org is the real site

I need the main site to be an exact copy of the test. site. And I need to keep the test. site intact for more development work.

Using a subsite as a testing ground for your main site and pushing updates to it will likely cause some headaches in the future. I don't really know any simple automated solution for pushing updates to a primary site like that. Best would be to have a development environment of the whole multisite, which is what we do here. I don't know much about the specifics since I'm not part of the dev team but from what I do know it sounds somewhat similar to Boone's explanation on this post: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/development-environment-for-huge-wp-network#post-1924231

Hope that helps Charles! If you have further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler