Need restore instructions for Snapshot Pro - first time user

My hosting company tried to move my site today, and screwed it up, then told me I was on my own to fix it. It is a multisite.

I have snapshots made every day, but when I went in to restore, there are things in there I do not understand (basically all of it).

Is there a detailed manual for this?
Restore Blog options
What tables to restore?
What files to restore?
Restore theme options

There is red warning language on some of these, so I do not want to screw this up.

I could not find any documentation, and I do not know what I am doing.

I need assistance to do this correctly. It's already been an exasperating day, I do not need to add to it by messing the restore up.

Thanks.

Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Hope you're doing well today!

Wow, sounds like pretty poor customer service from your host

As for restoring your multisite. Snapshot is meant for backing up and restoring 1 site at a time. It doesn't backup an entire multisite. For multisite it's a good idea to have a server side backup as well, such as through cPanel.

If you don't have a server side backup, then what you can do is install WordPress and snapshot, then turn it into a network install. Restore your main site backup and then restore each of your subsites

You may need to add back all your plugins/themes as well if they weren't included in the mainsite backup.

Hope this helps! Make sure going forward you setup a cPanel backup for the whole multisite as well - it's worth asking your host because often they will do weekly backups.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Charles

Yes, I back up from cpanel as well as snapshot.

Thank you Tyler. Yes, I had a long discussion with them. They got things back to the way they were before they broke it, so I am ok with that. Other than this incident they have been terrific. They do not help with multisite.

If you have information on how to migrate from a subdomain to the root in a multisite scenario, I am all ears and eyes ( test.coralrestorationintl.org needs to be migrated to coralrestorationintl.org. I still need test.coralrestorationintl.org to remain intact for further development).

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:
    Install snapshot on the network (which I have done and hooked it into Amazon S3), and set up an individual snapshot process for each site? That I can do, as right now all I have is the main site, and we will be adding sites throughout the year as we expand.

Can I use the same destination for both the test and the live site (same AWS Access Key ID?)?

Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the reply and glad the host was able to revert it back awesome.

As for moving a subsite to the root of the network - that's not possible without a lot of db manipulation. Reason being is that all the global tables are associated with the main site.

Is there a reason you want it to be the main site? Perhaps just domain mapping it would be easier. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:
    Install snapshot on the network (which I have done and hooked it into Amazon S3), and set up an individual snapshot process for each site? That I can do, as right now all I have is the main site, and we will be adding sites throughout the year as we expand.

Can I use the same destination for both the test and the live site (same AWS Access Key ID?)?

Yes, you can use the same destination for all the snapshots you might want to name them something unique to make it easy to figure out which snapshot is for which site.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Charles

"Is there a reason you want it to be the main site?"
    Yes, it was the whole point.
    test.coralrestorationintl.org is the development site
    coralrestorationintl.org is the real site

I need the main site to be an exact copy of the test. site. And I need to keep the test. site intact for more development work.

The multisite configuration is for sub directories, not subdomains.

Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Yes, it was the whole point.
    test.coralrestorationintl.org is the development site
    coralrestorationintl.org is the real site

I need the main site to be an exact copy of the test. site. And I need to keep the test. site intact for more development work.

Using a subsite as a testing ground for your main site and pushing updates to it will likely cause some headaches in the future. I don't really know any simple automated solution for pushing updates to a primary site like that. Best would be to have a development environment of the whole multisite, which is what we do here. I don't know much about the specifics since I'm not part of the dev team but from what I do know it sounds somewhat similar to Boone's explanation on this post: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/development-environment-for-huge-wp-network#post-1924231

Hope that helps Charles! If you have further questions just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler