restoring backup after hd crash?

hello,

How do I restore a site from a remote ftp WITHOUT local backups?

I use snapshot to backup site to a remote ftp, it I delete everything (suppose hard drive crashed)... I reinstall wordpress, reinstall snapshot plugin, configure same http://ftp... how do I get those backups?

I see there is a "scan" function to look for archives but does not work.

Thank

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

First - congratulations on having a backup. I wish more people took backups seriously.

I'm not 100% sure how SnapShot works for restoring from backups. If you can't pull it in from a remote FTP, can you download the backup and upload manually through your browser or by FTP to your local install and use SnapShot from there?

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

I could do that, but I don't like the idea of downloading a big .zip to my local computer and then upload it again.

Wondering if there is a way to import it directly from snapshot. I mean, it already knows where are the backups and has access to them.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I'll have to defer to someone with more SnapShot experience on whether SnapShot can retreive backups from the remote FTP location. I would have thought so but haven't used the restore function yet.

Another option could be to ask your web host to FTP it directly to your hosting account. If SnapShot can restore from a local file in your web root directory then that would be an easy way to save the time of downloading and uploading again.

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

While I understand your frustration, typically those "remote" backup solutions are to make sure you're covered in the event of a serious data failure on the host end (or accidental deletion by you). That said, they're more about peace of mind, rather than "do it all for you".

Do you have SSH access to both servers or data locations? If yes, you can probably pull it across pretty easily via command line using "wget" or "curl".

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

As a note, it is NOT a real hard drive crash. I am testing the plugin first before deploying it, because I have 100s of blogs and want to make sure I can restore in case of a crash.

I use backup creator on many sites, and it can restore from a remote http://ftp... so I guess I'll keep using it instead of snapshot :disappointed:.

To me it0s absurd that it can backup to a remote ftp, but not restore. Seems life a "half-finished" plugin, or maybe a thing in the todo list.

BTW, if anyone can code this for me (fetch list of remote backups, select backup to restore, and download it to the local dir for restore), please let me know and I'm willing to get this done soon. I know php but don't have the time to do it.

I like a lot the speed and versatility of Snapshot, but this issue is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks anyway...

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

As Will suggested if you have SSH access and the backup is hidden but web accessible it makes it extremely easy to do this.

cd /home/directory/www/
    wget http://remoteserver.com/folder/backup1.zip

Alternatively you can also use command line ftp in SSH to fetch the archive:

ftp -u username http://ftp.remoteserver.com
    <enter password>
    cd folder
    ls        (list files)
    bin      (set ftp mode to binary for transferring a zip archive)
    hash    (print hashs to show the transfer :)  )
    get backupfilename.zip

Your backup will be ready to restore in seconds.

SSH is a very powerful but potentially dangerous tool - very easy to delete stuff if care isn't taken.

Even if SnapShot doesn't yet have the ability to restore from remote locations I'm sure it will be updated in the near future.

If you want an alternative in the meantime I highly, highly recommend BackupBuddy which does have the ability to restore from remote sites.

SnapShot is catching up fast in terms of features though so keep an eye on it.

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@ekaram -

Is it a web-accessible URL that you already know the path to? ie., if you knew the name of the file, could you put together "http://some.com/path/to/file-28079283749283.zip"?

If yes, the above-mentioned solutions would pull the file from server-to-server no issues. In fact, even if not web-accessible, RSYNC or SCP would do it for you. You just use a special command to push or pull the file(s).

I'd prefer not to type out all the commands until I know what your situation is, so as not to waste my time, but I'm happy to further contribute if you'll answer these questions and keep the thread going.

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

Most of my users do not have ssh and are not tech savvy...

I know I can do this to get the list of files on the remote ftp, what I would need is to make a little interface so that the user can select the file and put in in the local dir where snapshot can see it.

$raw = ftp_nlist($conn, "/backups");
    foreach($raw AS $file){
    if(substr($file, 0, 1) != '.' && strpos($file, '.')){
    echo $file . "";
    }
    }

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

BTW, the "restore from ftp" would make snapshot perfect for me and I would totally LOVE it, and I believe it's almost there.

Instead of scanning the local /snapshot directory, it could get the list of remote files (it already knows ftp credentials), and by clicking "restore" on that archive, to download only that to local and then perform restore function.

I'm so picky about this because I have tons of space in remote FTP servers, but I'm very limited in the local servers where the blogs are. It's not possible for me to store and keep the several backup archives locally..

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ekaram,

I've moved this to feature request so maybe we can dedicate some development hours for this. As others in this thread have pointed our Snapshot does not currently support restore or management of files from the remote destinations. This is on the to-do list of features to add. Sadly I've been working on some of the other 16 plugins I support.

Part of this feature to also be added is a way to delete remove archive. Similar to what Snapshot does now where you can limit the number of locally stored snapshot files kept on the server. Many members over the past few weeks want Snapshot to automatically remove remote archive after so many iterations. So I can see this being part of the same development cycle.

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

Almost 5 months later... is there any news/update/interest in having this feature?

If not, what are the plans?

If there's not at least on a timeframe, maybe I should just cancel my wpmu subscription and rejoin next year or somewhere in the feature when this is considered for inclusion.

Thanks, please let me know.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ekaram,

Greetings and thanks for posting back.

Sorry for the delay in response as the staff originally dealing with the issue is no longer a part of the DEV team.

I have sent a note to our lead developer to see if there is a progress on this feature.

He should be here sooner than later.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ekaram,

I simple thought no reply would be best.

First, We don't provide ETA on plugin changes. Period.

Second, I don't really respond well to threads. You want to cancel your membership because this feature has not made it to the released version then you do what you need to do. Threads of cancellation will not make the coding go any faster. Sorry to say having to stop the coding and reply to post just slows things down.

Sorry if my comments are not acceptable.

• ekaram
    • Flash Drive

@Pau

Maybe you had a bad day, but that's no excuse to treat your customers like that and reply like a total jerk. Period.

You could have said "We dont provide ETAs, please check again in another 6 months" and would have been perfectly fine.

It's good to know that your support policy is "no reply would be best" and that's why you decide to ignore your customer's thread.

Sorry if my comments are not acceptable either... but your lack of interest and respect for your customers is less than acceptable.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@ekaram,

Please pardon me previous reply. Yes, bad morning.

My reasoning for not replying was just that I didn't want to get into a lot of back and forth in this thread. I have a full 15+ plugin I support and all have a backlog of change and feature requests. All have many users screaming daily for ETA on when some new feature will be added. Apologies, I took your initial request as just another one of those. I just don't have time to respond to each and every request. Again, apologies. I try to keep my head down and writing code so that at the end of the day I can try and at least get one feature added so I can start clean on the next day. That is all.

Regards.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Paul,

Thanks for chiming in.

Ekaram, thanks for your understanding on this one. As a support staff, I personally understand that our members need a lot of things to be done and believe me, our developers work day and night to get those fulfilled but sometimes they need to prioritize things.

You won't believe how many times they get tagged during the day as they are handling multiple plugins.

Rest assured, our developers do keep a track of all the requests and according to the priority and votes, they work on them :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.