Restoring with Snapshot Pro/Automated Backup

I have Snapshot Pro automated backups running on my live site. It is backing up my multisite to the WPMU Dev cloud site. I really need some kind of Dev environment to test out changes before I make them on my live site so I've installed DesktopServer on my PC so now I have a new empty local multisite installation.

Shouldn't I be able to take the most recent Snapshot Pro cloud backup of my live site and restore it to my local DesktopServer (also running Snapshot Pro) and get a local clone of my live multisite installation? I figured out how to download the backup zip file but when I initiate the restore process on the local installation it churns for awhile and then I get the message "There was an error restoring your backup" and the installation becomes unusable with this error "Error establishing a database connection. This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host’s database server is down."

How do I fix this and still maintain my ability to clone my live backups to my local installation? Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Randy,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I assume that you have tried to restore the backup to an already existing WP install using Snapshot Pro plugin. Please try a different way then:

- in The Hub you should be able to download the installer script in addition to the backup zip archive; both these files are available under "Restore" icon

- download both backup and installer file and put them in a root folder of you local server where you wish to set the site; there shouldn't be existing WordPress installation there

- extract the installer file and make sure that snapshot-installer.php file is in the root folder, the same where archive zip file is

- create a new (empty) database and note its credentials

- run the installer script and follow on-screen instructions

That should set the exact replica of the site that you backed up.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Randy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Adam,
    I gave that a shot (twice). I get the same error both times:

"Snapshot failed to restore your website package in "Restoring tables" phase
    Reason: Unable to restore table 'willow_4_wphd_message' from 'C:disappointed:Users/Randy/AppData/Local/Temp/si_test/willow_4_wphd_message.sql' because Table 'wc001dbvq6cn.willow_4_wphd_message' doesn't exist "

I am glad I decided to try this before I really needed to do a restore. We've been secure thinking we were safely backed up, now I am not so sure. Is there anything you can think of which might cause this error? TIA!

• Randy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Predrag,

As I mentioned in the original post, this is my local DesktopServer installation that I am trying to restore to. If I enable support access on my local dev PC, are you still able to access what you need? Do I need to port forward or anything?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Randy,

I was actually referring to your live site since we can access Managed Backups panel with support access and download the backup file from there in order to test it on our end.

Unfortunately we can't use support access to access local installations.

Another way of providing us with backup file is to upload it to any file sharing service and send us the download link via our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Download URL
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.