Restoring with Snapshot Pro/Automated Backup

I have Snapshot Pro automated backups running on my live site. It is backing up my multisite to the WPMU Dev cloud site. I really need some kind of Dev environment to test out changes before I make them on my live site so I've installed DesktopServer on my PC so now I have a new empty local multisite installation.

Shouldn't I be able to take the most recent Snapshot Pro cloud backup of my live site and restore it to my local DesktopServer (also running Snapshot Pro) and get a local clone of my live multisite installation? I figured out how to download the backup zip file but when I initiate the restore process on the local installation it churns for awhile and then I get the message "There was an error restoring your backup" and the installation becomes unusable with this error "Error establishing a database connection. This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host’s database server is down."

How do I fix this and still maintain my ability to clone my live backups to my local installation? Thanks!