return page after successful membership purchase is incorrect

When I am testing the membership plugin and successfully complete a membership purchase transaction via paypal - I click the "Return to Stone Ring Books" button on the paypal site and am redirected to the "Protected Content" page instead of the "Registration Completed" page. For now I have just told the system that the protected content page should point to the content I wish to use for the successful registration but this is only a bandaid.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

• oncourssadmin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

There are no rules selected ...(screenshot attached) ... when the membership payment is completed the visitor is being redirected to the "Protected content" page instead of the the "registration completed" page. Currently I have both of those pages pointing to the same place in options so at least there is the illusion of ending up in the correct place.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Note that when the visitor is returned from PayPal they will not yet have been upgraded to the member level (Membership has to receive the info back from PayPal to confirm the transaction was successful first).

So it may be that Membership is currently protecting the paypal return URL in the free membership level. I haven't used the PayPal gateway with Membership yet so I'm not sure what URL that will be.

When you do your test payment via PayPal does the member get upgraded correctly to the paid membership level or are they still on the free level?

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

What is the URL of the page that PayPal redirects to? If you log in as a user on the paid membership level and access that URL does it come up just fine or show you the protected page warning?

Sorry - I can't comment on the PayPal gateway as I haven't used it. Which one are you using? I would have thought that the PayPal standard gateway would make a one time payment without setting up a recurring subscription.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

The IPN is auto returned from Paypal, that shouldn't be an issue there.

I can't see the positive rules of the pages there in your screenshot?

Is the welcome page selected?

The protected and welcome should be it's own page and it should be selected within the rules if using positive.

Take care.

• oncourssadmin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

There is nothing in the positive rules - are you saying that I need to add a rule in order for everything to work?

Note: it seems that when a user makes a purchase and goes back to the site they are not officially 'active' yet but when they revisit they do get to see the content that an active member should see - is there any chance I could IM you login credentials so that you could take the site for a test drive and provide some objective feedback on any potential configuration issues that might be contributing to my problems?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I emailed:

Hey there.

I need some claification on your set up before making changes.

Registration Complete Page - What page should this actually be? My Downloads?

I saw no registration complete page.

For me to do a transaction to test this full I'd need to use Paypal sandbox. Can I change it to Paypals sandbox API to test?

This will mean no live transactions can go through, is this ok whilst I debug?

Thanks.

This is really for a forum record, please respond to the email :slight_smile:

Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I created a new protected page, I also put a shortcode on there so when they get redirected to this page they will be given the option to upgrade.

I then tested your Paypal issue, it was only when I realised you're using a site under construction that I realised the problem here. That plugin is designed to deny access, so it did a good job of that and seems to prevent IPN communicating with your site. As soon as I disabled that then every account I tested with was upgraded and could be upgraded.

Furthermore, after removing the plugin "Under Construction" ?everything functioned as expected, I was redirected to the download page upon purchase. You see you would only get the protected page if Paypals IPN could not confirm.

I've also upgraded you from the old version of Membership to the current release.

You have a number of out of date plugins there, you should upgrade them for enhancements, security (some might have security updates) and other potential improvements to the code.

I enabled your site construction plugin.

I left the sandbox mode enabled in case you wish to test. You should change the email and back to live mode when you're ready.

Thanks.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Thanks.
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.