Reusable Wordpress content. A custom post type into another one.

Hi,
I want to use existing custom post type into another post. Let's say for example, while creating a course, using existing posts could save time. Add an existing video. Add a WIKI which is where I'm getting at. Possibility of adding a wiki into a course which keeps updating has always been my dream. Can this be done? If not what should be done to do it? :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Vinay,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Possibility of adding a wiki into a course which keeps updating has always been my dream

I can imagine that and literally feel the tears of joy on my face, knowing that I'm able to use it :slight_smile: But jokes apart. That's currently not possible with a CoursePress built-in features.

A workaround (this relates to your entire question) could be to use a native WordPress Embed feature. This would however require providing oEmbed support on site which may become a bit tricky and would most likely mean some custom development.

Ultimately, using an external Embed.ly service may be a choice here as it allows you to embed pretty much everything on any page so you could embed any content from your site(s) to other parts of your site(s).

Having said all that, I agree that what you're asking about would make a great feature. Although in most part it's like a "global WP feature" request, I think if more members of our community will support the idea our developers could work out some solution at least for output/custom post types of our own plugins.

Since you posted in our "Feedback and Feature suggestions" forum already, let's hope that other members of the community will vote for it as well!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Vinay Sagar

Hi Adam,

Thank you. I've known this but was only looking for any possible solution I may not know of. Luckily 4.4 has some oEmbed support. Also when you're planning something like this, please keep mobile apps in mind that would require less customization later for getting the WP data through the API into the app. :slight_smile:

Hopefully, somebody would get to work on this feature and make my "Dynamic Courses" concept a reality on Wordpress. :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Vinay,

Thanks for your response!

I think Embed.ly or similar service would be the only reasonable option at this moment, at least in terms of being universal. That said, I do really hope that more members of our community will support / up-vote your ideas here. As most of the features are added to our plugins upon community requests, the bigger the support is the better is the chance for implementation.

My vote is already here (though I'm only a staff part so that doesn't count on behalf of members) :slight_smile:

Have a nice day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.