Reverting from Subdomains to Subdirectories in MultiStie

Hi: I'm running a Multisite install of WP version 3.2.1 (with BP 1.2.10 attached; although I don't think that has anything to do with my question). We originally installed our MultiSite as Subdomains, as our original intention was to let users register their own blogs.

We're now rethinking our business model and have decided to nix the user blogs. We are, however, running quite a few sub-sites for our own purposes, and plan on opening more of them in the future. It has now occurred to us that, for branding purposes, if we're only registering our own blogs to run with the main site, it might be better to run MS in subdirectory mode rather than subdomain mode.

My question is: Does anyone know what the ramifications are to changing the MS blog structure from subdomains to subdirectories for a site that's already up and running? My best research says that this should not be a problem (actually, the problem if any would be going the other direction, from subdirectories to subdomains), but I need to cover all bases here before we try this on a live site and blow everything up.

Anyone have any experience and/or particular knowledge of doing this? If this will work, is there something obscure I might forget to change? I know we'll have to change the wp-config file and the .htaccess rewrite rules; but is there anything else that would need to be done? - changes to the database, etc. And are there any popular plugins that might impede this process? My thanks in advance for your time and knowledge --