Role management for WordPress Multisite sites.

My not-for-profit site – causeinternational.com – uses WordPress Multisite and I want to allow regsitered users to create sites. Some of the sites will be “owned” by individuals but others will be owned by organisations – incorporated and not.

As straight WordPress has six predefined roles as described at http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities, is there any equivalent available with Multisite that the Super Admin user can also set up or over-ride on a site-by-site basis where necessary?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Michael,

Greetings and thanks for standing by.

As straight WordPress has six predefined roles as described at http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities, is there any equivalent available with Multisite that the Super Admin user can also set up or over-ride on a site-by-site basis where necessary?

So you want to over-ride the default admin role on a few subsites with a role defined on your own ? Right ?

By default Multisite does not have a feature like this. Subsite admins will have full rights on the subsite they have created.

There is a plugin http://wordpress.org/plugins/menus/ which you can use to restrict access to the WP dashboard backend and the options you hide will not be accessible to the admin’s

What exactly are you trying to achieve here ? Can you please elaborate so that I can check if that is possible or not ?

Cheers, PC

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi PC,

Thanks for getting back to be so quickly.

There are no show-stoppers in what you’ve said … if subsite administrators have control, that’s okay.

To fill you in more … our site is going to become the hub for thousands of small not-for-profit organisations that don’t have the resources or funds to build and manitain their own website and sociial networking platform (aka. BuddyPress), so they can use our site.

Some of the subsites will be “owned” by organisations such as a youth group, a church, a hospital, a school, etc., where they’d probably like the roles that are available in a standard WordPress installation so they could control the content published at their subsite, etc. using standard WordPress roles. As that won’t be available, the subsite administrator will have to be a central and trusted person representing the interests of the organisation.

I think that the bottom line is that I’ll need to monitor the sites and try to identify where a subsite administrator may be doing things that aren’t to the liking of the organisation they represent.

At least I can deactivate the subsite if there are any compalints from their members if the administrator is not representing the organisation properly.

Apologies for the long response. I think I’ve convinced myself that the setup should be fine.

Thanks for your input again PC.

Best regards … Michael

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for chiming in @and.Hello :slight_smile:

Michael, what about using https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/moderation/ ?

It will make your life easy. A non profit group will not only have a subsite admin but also a lot of other members so using the plugin above they can report anything they see is incorrect.

Over that, if you are not going to charge the organizations to have sites, you can just setup the Manual payment gateway in Prosites where they can signup for a site but you can activate Pay to Blog module and manually approve the sites before they are pushed live.

The subsite admin has all the rights as a normal WordPress admin where they can monitor their own content and moderate it.

Example : Edublogs.org – Its used by Educators to create sites but our Anti splog plugin keeps most of the splogs away and its easier for you to mark a site as splog from the backend.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.