Role Permissions

Hi there,

Is there any way that you guys can create a Role Permission plugin? I mean a really good one like the Role & Capability Manager element of this Plugin (http://codecanyon.net/item/white-label-branding-for-wordpress/125617) which WPMU Dev members could benefit from in the subscriptions?

I thought it might be a part of the Membership plugin, but I can't see that it is.

Thanks,

Ab

• Abaloo
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks Jonathan,

I like his stuff too, but I've found it's not great at picking up items added to the admin area in any detail.

I'm finding it hard with Members to control user level access to the menus and sub-menus added by some plugins, and also by the custom post types I am adding.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

Ab

• Jonathan

@circus,

access to the menus and sub-menus

Oh, I see your point - and that would be a different plugin - lol. Members is good for creating and editing and deleting roles. And some content protection. But I use it more for roles and capabilities.

Hiding menus etc is a different thing and not one I have explored much. But my experience with wordpress menu system is it needs a lot of work.

For example a comment moderator role - cool right - and one would think that all you need is to add moderate comments capabilities
    except in order to access the comment tab, the user also needs 'edit_posts' - which isn't ideal - lol

Anyways, I'm rambling... :wink:

• Abaloo

LOL.

It can be done however. The plugin I linked to in the original message above at CodeCanyon does all sorts, and has great reviews, and this roles & permission facility is just a part of it (a lot of the other parts are easily done in functions.php or else with existing wpmudev plugins.

I would use the code canyon one, only I'm looking to standardise my plugins across client sites, and would rather use plugins I can use on multiple sites for a dev licence, rather than pay individually per site.

And WPMU Dev is always asking us to make suggestions... :wink:

• Abaloo

@wecreateyou...

Adminize looks awesome. I see that it is current etc. I worry about free plugins remaining stable for use on Client sites, that is all.

Have you had any contact with support etc for Adminize?

And how have you found the plugin in use?

Thanks for pointing this out. Amazing how little gems like this can be missed.

...still, this is an area WPMU DEV should look at.

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

I agree that WPMUdev should have a Roles and Capabilities Editor but there are so many important plugins that I feel should be represented here that I hesitate to speak too loudly. I'm waiting on a few improvements to some existing WPMUdev stuff which I need first now that I have Adminimize.

Have you had any contact with support etc for Adminize?

I have not had to contact Adminimize Devs because I have had no issues (knock on wood)
    I've read of some really heavy hitters relying on it and I made up my mind I'd invest if I ever had to to keep it current.

And how have you found the plugin in use?

It's very easy and straight forward, very flexible and supports custom roles! You can toggle pretty much every admin metabox, menu item, and custom plugin added items.

Yeah... this is a seriously powerful plugin. I doubt anyone will would do it better, only matching it's power is possible IMHO. So with that said, I think WPMUdev could just support it and offer it for free. They do that with a couple freebies I've seen, so they've done it before.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi guys,

There's also the Admin Menu Editor, which seems to work very much like that Adminimizer plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/admin-menu-editor/

And yeah, I use the User Role Editor plugin myself and very much like that, especially in multisite usage since it provides a feature that lets your user roles/capabilities persist sitewide.

Just to mention also Ab, Membership does provide role integration, though it may be disabled in your setup at Membership > Edit Plugins. You'll see it in the list as Integrated WP Roles.

With that active, you'll have the option to select a user role to associate with membership levels.

Cheers,
    David

• wecreateyou
    • The Crimson Coder

Good one DavidM I forgot to mention that one. I use it a lot and it's very good for Multisite as well i.e. persistence throughout network. Actually I almost prefer it over adminimize in some cases. To your point @circus Admin Menu Editor has a very active developer.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.