Root Forwarding to Mulitsite

I have a client that registered their domain with GoDaddy (super constrictive) and I'm looking for a way to "Root Forward" their URL to their folder on my Multisite.

theirurl.com...goes to...subdomain.myurl.com/theirfolder/

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

So this is there website:

subdomain.myurl.com/theirfolder/

Not this:

subdomain.myurl.com/

Just want to be sure I understand that you installed WordPress Multisite on a subdomain as a sub folder installation?

Providing the root directory is your WordPress install and you have a dedicated IP then the best way to map a domain to sub blog would be with our Domain Mapping plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Full instructions for the plugin can be found from the Usage tab there.

If you don't want to map, then have their domain just forwarded in from the domain registrar.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Take care.

• tripod0502

Thanks for the fast response!

I'm running Multisite with Domain Mapping and the "Pro" plug in (which I hope will somehow integrate with my WHMCS in the near future)

I have it set to where Multisite does individual folders and not sub-domains. Strike one I guess. Strike two is that I have Multisite inside of a sub-domain and not root.

I'm thinking that moving my Multisite installation to the root might clear all of this up? I've heard it's quite an undertaking. Any tips?

Just in case, are there any articles on "busting up" a Multisite installation and turning it into it's individual constituent sites?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I'm running Multisite with Domain Mapping and the "Pro" plug in (which I hope will somehow integrate with my WHMCS in the near future)

Currently there is no integration with WHMCS and Pro Sites, but its coming.

Our WHMCS Provisioning plugin will work with the Domain Mapping plugin so your users can buy a domain and have it mapped whilst signing up.

I have it set to where Multisite does individual folders and not sub-domains. Strike one I guess. Strike two is that I have Multisite inside of a sub-domain and not root.

Its a choice, I prefer subdomains for multisite. I just think it looks better personally.

To check though, when we say root, I get you mean the top level domain folder. When I ask about root here, I mean is it the root of the sub domain, i.e. sub.domain.com/ or in a subfolder i.e. sub.domain.com/subfolder/

If its sub.domain.com/ then you should be ok.

You would need a dedicated IP on there, you have their domain use an A record to point to that IP. The IP would be the root domain (or root subdomain) so all forwarded in there would be caught by WordPress and our Mapping plugin. It will then work.

I hope that makes more sense.

Just in case, are there any articles on "busting up" a Multisite installation and turning it into it's individual constituent sites?

Keeping it as a whole would work just as good. WP does have importers and exporters though.

So to recap. Providing you have a dedicated IP and WordPress Multisite is installed in either the root domain or root subdomain folder then you should be good to go.

The reason for the dedicated IP is because it needs to sit on your install, all domains need to go there, if they don't then WP won't see em.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

I set his A record to my IP address and now it seems as though it's hitting a parking page on my host but not my MultiSite.

That sounds like you either don't have a dedicated IP or that the IP address is not setup on your hosting correctly i.e. it doesn't land on your WordPress install.

You see the domain needs to fall upon your WP install so that WP and our plugin can see it and map it correctly. If it doesn't it won't work.

The short answer to a shared IP is yes you can, but that IP needs to go direct to your WP install.

In a shared hosting environment it is highly unlikely it ever would and its even more unlikely your host would accommodate.

So you would need a dedicated IP of your own for this to work.

Let me know how you get on.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.