RSS into a newsletter, am I just outdated?

`Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone could assist with this,. Last year I managed to do RSS feed newsletters through mailchip at the time which worked awesome. The only issue that I'm gettin is that I've tried every tried to put this feed - http://www.247united.com/blog/category/free/feed/ into an rss generator and it keeps coming up with an errror that the page is a website and not a direct feed file.

Am I just outdated or is there a new way to make it easy to email selective categories based on a subscription to the user?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Bridget Kelly,

I hope you're doing well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the feed and it acts in a bit unexpected way. In Chrome browser it shows the feed source code and in Firefox it triggers file download (containing feed code). None of these though is a proper feed behavior. I suppose this is the reason for the issue then.

Checking the feed with W3C feed validator also returns the "It looks like this is a web page, not a feed" error and a full source code that indeed looks like a... webpage code.

I admit I'm not sure why that happens though. Do you have any additional plugins installed that are supposed to "do anything" with our feeds? Were you making any changes to the site that could be related to the way feeds are handled?

Let me know please. Could you also grant me a support access to your site so I could review its configuration? Here's a guide on how to do this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

Best regards,
    Adam

• John

i can't add to what adam said - BUT - I am following closely ... I am a massive fan of RSS - and am sad that it isn't more widely adopted - thank you Google who destroyed it - and Facebook who then kicked it while it was down. And we let them do it.

I wonder if we could utilise this community to make it live again - with 25% of the internet's web sites running wordpress - a REALLY RSS offering would be awesome - such as easier ways to control the output as it finds its way into newsletters and social sites would be great.

#onwards

oh - and I note that both feedly and safari's shared links did not recognize that link either

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Bridget Kelly!

I just noticed that you posted this in a Community area of our forum and since I asked you if you could grant me a support access to the site so I could check it, I wouldn't be able to make us of it anyways.

If you'd like me to check your site and investigate the issue, let me know please and I'll move this thread to our Support Forum where I'll be able to make use of support access and also my support staff colleagues could jump in if necessary.

If you'd however prefer to leave it as is and seek for and advice from a community, that's fine and I'm sure some members will be able to give you a handy advice :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• VC Nickels

This is a straight up HTML file. Note the <!DOCTYPE html> opening tag.

There is no RSS exposed at that address at all, which is why you can't get Mailchimp to recognize it.

Following that path up to http://www.247united.com/blog/category/free/ there is no RSS and the page is just a landing page for a passworded site... Following all the way up to the root http://www.247united.com/ yields the same result, a landing page with no RSS.

The site itself says the site isn't launching until Easter day, April 16th.

• Bridget Kelly

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion, I posted it in the community area as I just wondered if I was just out of date to be honest. There is no plugins that could handle the RSS apart from the theme which provides one RSS link which still fails.

You already have 5-day access to my site, and there is also a link to dropbox to view the error logs :slight_smile:
    Sorry would of been sooner to reply but i'm in the UK, so just woken up :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Bridget Kelly!

I have moved your thread to Support section in order to be able to check it. I did some testing and VC Nickels is right about Maintenance.

With Maintenance mode the site is returning "maintenance page" to all "robots" (including e.g. W3C Feed Validator). Disabling it makes the feed work as it should.

It seems that for some user browsers it is returning feed's code (probably based on user-agent string) instead of "maintenance page", that's why I was a bit "tricked" by that at first.

The bottom line is: when you disable Maintenance on site it should work as expected again.

Thanks VC Nickels for help, I already sent you some points :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• VC Nickels

I didn't even notice that it was in maintenance mode... I just thought it was a flat landing page.

But yeah... That will do it.

This Maintenance Mode plugin allegedly allows RSS through but I have not used it

https://wordpress.org/plugins/rocket-maintenance-mode/

If you want o keep something going with your potential users though you're on the right track with all the hastags. Unfortunately though, none of them are hyperlinked and (assuming this is your site) you don't actually mention your Twitter.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.