RSS / SMS or Email notification when Post is Published without full Post

I apologize as I don't know that much about RSS feeds / readers and the like. I'm using Membership Pro 2 with a completely private site for a school. I would like to announce to users when a post has been published but don't send the whole post to an RSS reader because I want users to actually go to the website to read the post. Is this possible? I also need to maintain site privacy.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Beau,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This can be setup with WordPress core settings. Please go to your dashboard's

"Settings" -> "Reading" page

and change the "For each article in a feed show" option to "Summary".

This way all your feeds will show only excerpts or articles and readers will be forced to visit your site if they'd like to read to full posts.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Beau!

So I need to set up an RSS feed, correct?

RSS feeds are already there for you as WordPress creates them "out of the box". You may want however to add a link or a button to your site encouraging users to subscribe. This can be easily done (it's just a link like every other link) once you know your feeds' locations.

Take a look here please:

https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Feeds

To make the feed private and keep the site private... any ideas as to how to set that up?

Since you're using our Membership 2 plugin you are able to protect your entire site. RSS feeds however are by default excluded from protection. Luckily there's a workaround. I've tested this on my own site and it seems to be working just fine. Here's what you may want to do:

- once all protection rules for your site are set and RSS feed is set (as previously described) to serve only excerpts...
    - go to your dashboard's "Membership 2" -> "Add ons" page
    - enable "URL Protection" add-on
    - go to "Membership 2" -> "Protection Rules" -> "URL Restrictions" page
    - paste the full URL of your site's feed (e.g. "http://yourdomain.com/feed/") in the "Add new URL Address" field and click on "Protect this URL" button
    - one this is added, click on "Nobody" label next to it and assign membership that would be entitled to see feeds content.

From now on, all the members of selected membership should be able to visit the feed and then be forced to click on feeds items to be redirected to article. Nobody else will be able to see feed.

There's a major drawback though. Assuming that users subscribe to the feed via their browsers (and not any external RSS reader) they'll be only notified of new items until they logout from your site.

That said, I think you may want to keep RSS feeds unprotected and only protect content of the site. In this case everybody would be able to subscribe but they'd only see excerpts (and those you can "shape" yourself) and in order to actually see the content of the site they'd have to be members.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.