Running a WP multisite on a subdomain - Issues?

Hi,

I would like to run different Wordpress multisite networks on the same server and under the same domain, i.e. :

network1.example.com
network2.example.com
network3.example.com

Are there specific issues and/or limitations with this kind of setup (WPMS running on subdomains)? And what's about your plugins (specifically plugins like multidb, domain mapping, post indexer)?

Thank you.

Laurent

• Lorange

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing...

I'm referring to a multisite network being installed itself on a subdomain (instead of the root). In other words the main site of this network wouldn't be example.com but it would be located at network1.subdomain.com for example.

I'm asking this because on the WP codex it is written:

Giving WordPress its own directory will not work in WordPress 3.0 with multisite enabled.

I don't know if this applies to the kind of setup I'm referring to.

And I would be interested in specific insights with the WPMUDEV plugins mentioned above.

P.S. Please note that I would prefer not to use any kind of "multinetworks" plugin. I just want different networks, each running on their own subdomain on the same server.

• aecnu

Greetings Lorange :slight_smile:

what I mean was not relative to running the sub domains multisite that Phil was talking about earlier - this works great for me on two separate networks.

What I am talking about is running subdomains on top of subdomains.

For example someone installs a Multisite into sub domain sub.multisite.com - then when other sub domains are piled on top this is were I think the problems begin i.e. piled.sub.multisite.com - now it has four tiers in the domain name which I know for a fact causes DNS issues.

In summary running Multisite in a sub omains with subdomains is probably a major fail - though I have never tried it myself .... lol

Running subdomains on a domain is GREAT and has operated without issue that I can find.

Joe :slight_smile:

• Lorange

What I am talking about is running subdomains on top of subdomains.

For example someone installs a Multisite into sub domain sub.multisite.com - then when other sub domains are piled on top this is were I think the problems begin i.e. piled.sub.multisite.com - now it has four tiers in the domain name which I know for a fact causes DNS issues.

It should be possible because this is exactly what this plugin does.

But it looks like this kind of setup is not very "standard" (can we say that in English?)... I mean not very common. This why I was asking about possible issues with plugins like multidb, post indexer, domain mapping...

• aecnu

Greetings Lorange :slight_smile:

First I must stipulate that other then being a Member I am not in anyway shape or form connected to WPMU Dev and that the opinions I share are my own :slight_smile:

Sir that plugin you mentioned I have no idea about it - I am working within the confines of what WPMU Dev supports and this plugin is not part of that.

At the same time many advertisements claim all kinds of untrue garbage. This is the Best Car in the world - with three automakers all claiming the same, obviously two are liars etc. etc.

However, if this is the case of running this alternate plugin and your having trouble with other plugins including those on WPMU Dev working with it - then it is my opinion you should be using the support resources of the alternate plugin asking them why the problems :slight_smile:

I am on your side and all for getting these anomalies fixed, myself and others trying to assist anyway I can ..... but to attempt to support or give help on something that I do not have access to or is not in the realm of this forum I must admit is frustrating to say the least.

When I used to own computer stores (3 at one point 14 years ago), you would not believe how many people bought computers from somewhere else then when they have trouble with it tie up our computer skill resources trying to fix THEIR problem - to this day we get people whom call and say well I bought this computer from ..... wait a minute, get off 1-800 line with us paying for the call and call them!

• Lorange

it is my opinion you should be using the support resources of the alternate plugin asking them why the problems :slight_smile:

I appreciate your efforts and time trying to help, really. However I never asked anything about this alternate plugin. I mentioned it as an example of Wordpress networks running with nested subdomains.

In my initial question I only wanted to know if there were specific issues and/or limitations to consider when running a WPMS network on a subdomain (instead of the root). Phil gave a clear answer:

Installing WordPress Multisite in a subdirectory won't work, but installing on a subdomain as you propose to do should work fine. Note that you'll need to chose "sub-directories" when specifying which set up you want for the network. As far as I'm aware you shouldn't have any issues with plugins in this setup either.

Here Phil points up a real limitation: need to chose "sub-directories" instead of subdomains. (which means http://network.example.com/blog027.com instead of: http://blog027.network.example.com).

When I read this I remembered this "Networks+" plugin. Maybe this plugin is the only way to get nested subdomains. Maybe there are other ways to do that (without having to create multiple networks). I don't know. But as far as I can see, nested subdomains is not a default Wordpress multisite setup. :slight_frown:

• aecnu

Greetings :slight_smile:

well I agree with Phil that running Multisite on a sub domain in sub-directory mode will work - but I could swear, though I may be incorrect - that somewhere it said sub domain mode was a must.

In response to my response to the other alternate plugin - I had mis understood, thought you were using that plugin and stand to be corrected to the fact that it was an example :slight_smile:

In addition, there is another plugin that claims it can do what you are describing that is from the WordPress Repository :slight_smile:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-multi-network/

I admit I have not tried it myself but this may be what you are seeking or could help to create the environment you seek Lorange :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.