Sales Tax on Gift Cards

In my state we don't charge sales tax on GIft Cards but on everything else. I understand that I cannot exclude 1 product from being charged sales tax in MP, but I have also understood that perhaps a filter could be applied to the tax section to exclude a particular item.

Can someone give me a guidance in this?

$tax_prices = array();
foreach ($selected_cart as $bid => $cart) {
$content .= apply_filters( 'gift', '' );

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi solar2adventure,

I'm really not sure how to do that apart from some relatively extensive edits to the MarketPress plugin code, not something we'd recommend, as updates to MarketPress would overwrite those changes.

I'll ask the lead developer to have a look at this to see if there's a simpler way.

I should add, one possible workaround in my mind is to setup a separate site, perhaps by enabling Multisite, and selling the gift cards through that site, setting the tax option to 0%.

You could use the global cart to make shopping easier for members in that case.

-David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi solar2adventure,

Hope you don't mind my moving this over to the feature suggestion forum, which I should have done right away, as MarketPress doesn't provide an option as such currently.

And that said, there's one other possibility and that would be to set the tax rate to 0% and figure in the tax on a per-product basis. The other method of using Multisite is more intuitive, but this is just another possibility.

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.