scaling wordpress for lots of users

Hi.
We have a general question on WordPress vs Drupal when it comes to sociability and customization. We are working on a new site and if it generates thousands or potentially millions of users over time, is Wordpress able to handle it or can it be optimized to handle a large number of users? The site is running multisite and there could be users of the main site as well as sub sites under it.

Further, we would like to use Buddypress or some social tool as part of the sites. Buddypress currently is a bit difficult to work with and play with themes. I understand there may be some changes coming there to make it work better with any theme. Do you have any insight into when that change might be coming or tips on customizing themes to work with Buddypress better.

Our site is going to need some customization and just want to make sure we pick the best platform to start.

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings kriscone,

We are working on a new site and if it generates thousands or potentially millions of users over time, is Wordpress able to handle it or can it be optimized to handle a large number of users?

Absolutely WordPress can handle it and if it is going to have Multiple sites as well then Multi DB plugin would be a good match to help ease the Servers required database searches.

My concern would be can your hosting solution handle it.

Do you have any insight into when that change might be coming or tips on customizing themes to work with Buddypress better.

I am sorry that I have nothing to comment on Buddy Press whatsoever though I totally agree with your assessment that you have given. Of course coming straight from the horses mouth would certainly be the most accurate answer to this question if in fact there is one. In any vent, it will certainly be a challenge as working with Buddy Press always seems to be.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe
    Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.