Scheduled backups are not triggering. Any ideas why?

I installed Snapshot on a development WordPress network. When I create a snapshot and choose the "Save settings and Backup now" option everything works fine. However, when I schedule backups of a site they never happen.

Initially I setup once per day backups of a couple sites. After a few days and no backups, I created a new snapshot of a site scheduled for every 5 minutes and still no backups are being created.

Any ideas why this plugin is not working?

I have made sure to visit the individual sites to make sure that wp-cron will be triggered. Also, I am running on a Windows Server with IIS so I do not have Unix cron as an option.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@chris_norcross, Hmm. not sure. Basically, snapshot registers with WPCron to call a function at a specified interval. At that point it is up to WPCron to execute and call the snapshot function which created the backup and sends it to the remote destination.

Probably best to start with a Cron plugin. There are a few out there to show the scheduled WPCron entries. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=Cron

I guess my point is making sure that WPCron functions. Let me know what you see with the cron tool.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@chris_norcross, Working in a similar member issue this morning. They granted me access to their site. Similar issue as yours that the scheduled tasks were not bing fired.

Found out they had this in their wp-config.php

define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', true);

Can you check your own wp-config.php if the define is not there please add it and set the value to false like

define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', false);

I'll check back with you later today after I complete with the other member.

• chris_norcross
    • New Recruit

@Paul, I don't have 'DISABLE_WP_CRON' defined in my wp-config.php at all. Other wp-cron taks do run so I'm certain it is disabled.

I followed your suggestion and installed a plugin that allowed me to view my wp_cron queue. I found that there were a couple of snapshot related items in the cron queue that were schedule for the previous day and apparently never ran. I'm not sure what that means exactly. I've attached a screenshot with the list of queued items so you can see what I am talking about. The screenshot was taken on 11/9 at 10:40pm GMT but there are items that should have cleared more than 24 hours previously.

The problem may not have anything to do with the Snapshot plugin as I installed it on a different WordPress network and the scheduled backups seem to be working fine there.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Yeah, I saw that on another members site this morning. Similar issue when I posted to this thread. The cron entries are there but were never getting kicked off. Found out they were running a plugin WP-Cron Control or something which disabled WPCron.

Do this. edit your wp-config.php this time add the line

define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', false);

This define will prevent other plugins from setting the value to false when they run since the wp-config.php runs first. After that download the latest beta 5 from this morning
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/snapshot-2.0.4.1-Beta5.zip

It should just replace the current version of Snapshot. After the install to to once of you snapshot items and edit it. You will need to set the schedule dropdown again. Try setting it to once every 5 minutes. Then save it. Open a new browser window to the front-end of your site and load it a few time. every few minutes. Flip back to the Snapshot listing to see if the 5 minute entry ever kicks off.

Let me know.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.